• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Wanted: Can I commission you to build a boat? UK based
    14 Posts ยท 10 Followers ยท 1 Photo ยท 63 Likes
    Began 2 months ago by
    Able Seaman
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 20 days ago by
    Admiral
    Canada
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ronald
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    ๐Ÿ“ Wanted: Can I commission you to build a boat? UK based
    26 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I have been in contact with James May via my personal email, he knows I am in Canada. Here is what I wrote him after looking at the pictures and details of the kit.
    He ask me about converting it to an RC model for his dad to play with at a pond in his area.

After writing I forgot that this kit requires two motors and thus two Esc.

James

If you desire to make this project into an R/C model it adds a new dimension to the build. It is too bad someone there in the UK had not picked up on this as my models are mostly scratch built tugboats (2) of sailboats of which one is a schooner. I have been building plastic models for years.

Building an RC model requires not just the model either in kit form or built from scratch as done at a ship yard. Some kits like the Deanโ€™s kit you currently own, has a preformed hull of a plastic type substance, the deck and other components made also be vacuum formed plastic or wood.

After buying a kit, there is the choice of motors to power it. These could be either an electric motor that is brushed or unbrushed, the later uses Lipo battery packs which I refuse to use because of the hazards charging them bring into your life. I prefer brushed motors and NiMH batteries.

There is rudder control servo to buy, a transmitter and receiver to buy and an ESC or speed control.

Now these are the basic items but there are those in the rc boating world who add sound modules, LED lights, rotating radar antennas and operating winches. I donโ€™t do much of that as generally navigation lights are for night time and most of my sailing is in the daytime.

There are so many choices out there first people to buy and that is why I say it would be better for you to locate a local club.

I referred you to a static model builder in an earlier email which I located this morning. True it isnโ€™t an RC model but static. If you really want your dad to enjoy RC boating then get a sailboat .

Look for a Dragonforce retailer ir contact a local l rc yachting club as many times they have used model they are selling or they will let him try-out before purchasing.

If you desire more info get back to me,

Ron
    Login To
    Remove Ads

hermank
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช Belgium
    33 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Michael C, Michel C I always wonder how it is possible that such a young man like you can talk so much wisdom. I must say I take my hat of!!!!
    ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Mike Stoney
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ญ Switzerland
    29 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 32 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello James May!
    As everyone has already mentioned, you have to take your own time to immerse yourself in this hobbyist's world. Back in 1985, I started with 2 boats that I completed. Then came the next generation, and in the end there were six of us. Instead of boats, I made garages for the boys and baby houses for the girls.
    Later, I found time again and took my time in consultation with my wife. Today, as a pensioner, I'm happy to have a hobby in addition to everything else. You can withdraw, fiddle with a problem and find the solution with a "Eureka".
    Unfortunately, today's young people are not so keen on that.
    But you have the opportunity to encourage the grandchildren, which I have written on my heart. With success . . . Cheer up, you'll find your way!
    Greetings from a Gruffty
    Michel-C.
    if you don't ask, you won't get an answer!
    Trident73
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    47 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Jamesmay. I saw this ad in the back of RCM&E (rc planes magazine). No idea if โ€œTomโ€ has any experience with ships and boats or offers a build service for marine models but it might be worth a phone call to seeโ€ฆ?
    LewZ
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    46 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 29 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    James may, l hope that you are successful in the model build. By doing this yourself I'm sure your Dad will appreciate the gift even more๐Ÿฅฐ.

As a father and grandfather I know I would.

Good luck!

Lew
    Florida ๐Ÿ˜Ž, USA ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats.org)
    Jamesmay78
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    46 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 23 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Thanks for all your encouragement folks, I would really like to try, I just cant see how I could put the hours into it that would mean it could be finished so that my dad could enjoy it.

I was hoping that there may be hobbyists on here that may get enough satisfaction from the building part of the process that they would be happy to release the boat at the end, especially knowing it would mean so much to someone else.

Where I offered to give a token amount, I intended this to be a three figure sum, obviously if you looked at an hourly rate it would not work, but as a sum take the wife away for a weekend to make up for all the hours infront of the bench it may be nice.

I do appreciate i am asking a lot, and its a long shot, so you may well get me popping up on here yet asking for advice while I undergo my first build. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    59 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 36 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi James.
    I know a person who does paid modeling work, but he lives in Italy and I don't know how much he requires.
    I don't think it's worth it for you.
    I'm sorry I can't help you because I like your intent.
    LewZ
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    64 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 29 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Ah, asking someone to build a scale model boat! I've been asked to do this a number of times.

Most lay people (non model builders) don't realize what it takes to build a scale model boat. (I'm not talking about small plastic kits like Revell, Monogram, etc., here.) I can't even imagine where to begin as a reply for a quote to build one knowing the time it takes to do so, even using a minimum wage as a base number.

I think some people would be surprised if you told them what the cost would be, They seem to think that we like to build model boats, so by asking one of us to do so would be doing us a favor.

This falls back on the same for someone selling an already built model. People don't understand that even though the kit cost XXX and with all that labor put into it they think "surely it must be worth X,XXX".

I find satisfaction in building my own models, not someone else's that you may never see again. Just my opinion.

Lew
    Florida ๐Ÿ˜Ž, USA ๐Ÿ˜
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats.org)
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช Germany
    65 Views ยท 10 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Precisely Chris๐Ÿ‘
    That's exactly the problem, even for naval ship nuts like me.
    BUT!

@ JAMES,
    Re "I dont have enough time to keep on top of everything."
    I never had my own business but for many years I ran departments within large companies.
    Service, Test, Development and finally world wide Sales and Marketing.
    Equivalent to many smaller companies. (Never mind the 'appearance' of sons and daughters๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ™„)
    I soon recognised that I needed to find other activities to stop me constantly thinking/worrying about work etc, etc!
    My distractions were-
    1. DIY: restoration of my 1860 cottage in Sandhurst. Including three outhouses and landscaping the extensive garden.
    2. Restoration of 'near' vintage cars (Mostly for my own use ๐Ÿ˜), Triumph Herald, Hillman Minx, Rover 2000.
    Wish I still had the 'Herald'. She was upgraded to Triumph Vitesse PLUS. (Gas flowed engine, high compression, twin carbs.) But still looked like a bog standard Herald๐Ÿ˜ A real 'Street Sleeping Meany'. Vroom vroom Maisie ! (PERISHERS fans will know that๐Ÿ˜‰)
    3. Model building:-
    Free flight planes and gliders. After two 'crash and burns' and a flyaway (last seen heading for the North Sea direction Norway) I switched to ships.
    Starting with upgrading my 1/72 H Class Destroyer (first built when I was 15) to RC.
    The rest (as they say) is history, some documented here in my Posts and Blogs.

The point of this ramble James is GO FOR IT!
    Don't drown in everyday business/family STUFF.
    You need some time for yourself, to switch off and do SOMETHING FOR YOU! Not everyone else around you. Something I learned the hard way!

DON'T try to build this kit IMMEDIATELY/ASAP like work projects, or family crises (and there will be some๐Ÿ™„), just take your time, immerse your self in the build for an hour or two now and again.
    Kept me sane through professional and private disasters.
    Hope this helps motivate you๐ŸคžWorked for me๐Ÿ˜‰
    Cheers, Doug๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.๐Ÿ˜Š Cheers Doug
    ChrisF
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    63 Views ยท 8 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Problem is James, as you say, model boat building can take a long time and for most of us we don't have enough time for our own builds, especially if we have other hobbies and commitments. We only really have enthusiasm for and can make time for building our own models really.

I've seen a number of similar requests on other forums without success unfortunately.

Chris
    Building 6 Faireys at a scale of 1:12 and another in the pipeline!
    Show 4 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy