Setting up your workshop tools

Started by Clockmaker
15 replies 63 likes 0 followers Last activity: 20 days ago
#15 26
@StephenR1
You asked: "How much do you think you would get for the Queen paddle steamer. I have an opportunity to buy one here in the UK and I have no idea of it's value?"

A quick search found 2 currently for sale on the rcgroups website (sorry for mentioning a competing website on here).
One is asking $350.00, the other $2,600.00 ......
With all due respect to the many talented builders on this site, the reality is that selling prices do not reflect the time and effort put into building a quality model.
Having said that, I believe the $350.00 price more accurately reflects the current market for used built models.
I hope this helps you make your decision. If nothing else, it gives you a point of reference for your bargaining with the seller.
Dave B
So far my collection resembles "The Island of Misfit Toys". I've picked up several boats that are old builds and have been neglected. I'm giving them the TLC they need, hoping to bring them back to their former glory. Once I get enough practice/ experience I intend to take on a full build.
Liked by StephenR1 and hermank
#14 30
@EdW you prove my point for a messy workshop! I know where things are but if I organized I wouldn’t?
Howard hager
Liked by RNinMunich and ColRay and
#13 30
Howard The quality of the kits you can buy is first class Col
Liked by hermank
#12 30
@StephenR1 the kits can run here in USA $300-500. (See the AI pricing of it) This is the 3 rd time I built one. One I did under contract. One done and lost in house fire. The motor kit is extra. I also used cog belt n gear. The original belt slips. I use Chatgbt AI to figure sell prices. If you get the kit under $300 grab it as Dumas is gone. I also have a Billings Calypso but built it as original minesweeper which it was. Most of the work was on the bow and rear deck to add sweep cable n mast. I even added washing machine located on deck near stack. I served on msco-49 USN Lorikeet so I could build from memory I just looked on eBay none listed. The motor kit listed at almost $300. You can buy geared reduction motor n parts for $50? I would say a built one is worth $900 n up . As it is getting rare I’d snatch the kit if you can find one. Btw I’m retro fitting the plastic large Lindbergh Robert E Lee to RC. I picked kit up for $90. I had the motor n gear extra from the queen. Almost done with it. One suggestion is to also build a wood hull n deeper have extra set of plans of Dumas Queen it has nothing in full scale but you could scratch build and use 3D printing for some parts. It uses thin ply a lot fir deck parts. Calyposo Billings Boats easier to find. You might check UK Leeds hobby shop for both kits?
Howard hager
Liked by EdW and RNinMunich and
#9 34
@ColRay It is my latest footy Brando build from a very confusing and contradictory set of plans I have started build blog for it but i have not updated for a few days so I will have to do an update
Liked by hermank and AlessandroSPQR
#7 40
@Hhager2 how much do you think you would get for the queen paddle steamer. I have an opportunity to buy one here in the UK and I have no idea of it's value?
Stephen
Liked by hermank and ColRay
#6 40
My problem is finding things after I have tidied my workshop.

I seem to spend more time searching than actually working 🤣
Ed
Liked by RNinMunich and hermank and
#3 65
Door enterence is Enterprise NX-01 engine room replica ( real prop sold at Christie’s Nay auction which I didn’t win). To the right is desk prop from tv series its futuristic submarine docking side door control panel from the real set. Last pic is work bench. Once I sell off the Queen paddelwheeler I might be able to build again hulls n wings. As you see my wife hasn’t been allowed in here for decades! It’s my hobby n workroom. There is another actual desk I have 3D printer n PC on too. So unorganized? Ahhh relaxing place to be?
Howard hager
Liked by RNinMunich and DWBrinkman and
#2 67
Can’t work in a too organized workshop! I know where everything is but it isn’t organized. That way it doesn’t feel like in at my job working. This is my relaxation so I feel relaxed in disorder? Haha
Howard hager
Liked by RNinMunich and AlessandroSPQR and
#1 67

Setting up your workshop tools

Half the fun of modelling is setting up your workshop at least it is for me, I have all my mini woodworking tools on a board ready to use mostly Minicraft, Proxxon and Minitool all useful but the little minicraft circular saw is easily the most used and it can use Proxxon blades.
Liked by RogerA1 and RNinMunich and

Sign in to add to this thread.

Delete this post?

It will be removed from the site.

Discard this draft?

Your draft will be deleted and cannot be recovered.

You have an unfinished draft

What would you like to do with it?