Random Problems Loading Pictures?

Started by zooma
6 replies 1 like 0 followers Last activity: 7 minutes ago
#7
To satisfy my own curiosity, I asked Professor Google. Here is what I learned. I hope this helps ...

Do most websites accept the .heic format when uploading pictures?

No, most websites do not natively accept or display the .heic format.
Because of expensive licensing fees and patent complexities associated with the format's underlying HEVC video codec, major web browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge do not support HEIC. Apple Safari is the only major browser that renders it natively.
Because of this limitation, websites handle your uploaded .heic files in one of three ways:

1. Automatic Backend Conversion (Social Media)

Major platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and X (Twitter) will let you upload .heic pictures from your phone, but they automatically convert them to JPEG on their servers before displaying them to the public. This happens behind the scenes so that Android and Windows users can see your photos, though the automated compression can sometimes lower the image quality.

2. Standard Web Platforms (Rejection)

Many content management systems, business tools, and e-commerce platforms—including WordPress, Squarespace, and Shopify—will outright reject a .heic file. If you try to upload one, you will usually get an "Unsupported File Format" error message.

3. Government, Travel, and Official Portals (Frequent Errors)

Websites used for printing photos, submitting passport applications, uploading proof of identity, or school portals rarely accept HEIC. They generally require universally readable formats like JPEG or PNG.

💡 Tips for Hassle-Free Uploads

• Let the iPhone convert them: If you use the Apple AirDrop or native iOS Share Sheet to send photos to a Mac or PC, your iPhone usually handles the translation to JPEG automatically based on your destination settings.
• Use Files instead of Photos: If a desktop website rejects your photo, save the image from your Photos app into the Files app first. When uploading to a web browser from the Files app, iOS often converts it to JPEG on the fly.
• Switch your camera default: If you regularly upload photos to websites for work or school and want to avoid errors entirely, change your default capture setting to Most Compatible (which saves photos as JPEGs) by going to Settings > Camera > Formats.
So far my collection resembles "The Island of Misfit Toys". I've picked up several boats that are old builds and have been neglected. I'm giving them the TLC they need, hoping to bring them back to their former glory. Once I get enough practice/ experience I intend to take on a full build.
#6 3
@DWBrinkman

Hi Dave,

That does tend to suggest that there has been a change in the way that this site processes pictures - very recently.

I have only had and used iPhones to take my pictures with ever since iPhone first came out (not sure how many years ago that was - but well over 30 years I would guess?).

So all the picture that I have ever uploaded on here would have been .heic and remain so.

In addition, sometimes I get lucky and an image that would not previously upload does!

This all suggests that this site previously accommodated the Apple .heic file type without any problems, but now it does not …..or sometimes does……

I am hoping this is just a “glitch” and that everything will soon revert back to normal again.

Bob.
Never too old to learn
#5 3
I have problems as well pictures are missed or repeated and you have to mess about with them to get them sorted and I am using windows and .JPG
Liked by zooma
#4 4
@Fishercat

I think I understand what you are saying, but some of the pictures that were previously uploaded by myself onto this site (and are still on display) cannot be reloaded again.

I did try this as a test after some images from my iPhone and iPad would not upload that were taken at the same time as others had had already uploaded in the usual way without any problems!

I can resize my pictures before sending them - but this makes no difference either (and was never done previously on images that uploaded OK).

At the moment I remain a little puzzled as I have not changed anything my end.

Bob.
Never too old to learn
#3 4
Bob,
The .heic format is an Apple proprietary format.
Like Fishercat said, .heic files are not acknowledged on a lot of sites.
In fact, I cannot open .heic files on my Windows computer at all.
If you choose .jpg, life will be a lot easier.
Dave B
So far my collection resembles "The Island of Misfit Toys". I've picked up several boats that are old builds and have been neglected. I'm giving them the TLC they need, hoping to bring them back to their former glory. Once I get enough practice/ experience I intend to take on a full build.
#2 5
@zooma a lot of websites can't take .heic files. You might have to convert them to .jpg files to get them to upload. Last time I had to do that, I had to get an app off the web to do it, as it wasn't baked into Windows. That might be different on an Apple. My IPhone gives me the choice of JPG or HEIC files when I take photos. I choose JPG to avoid the headache.
#1 9

Random Problems Loading Pictures?

Picture Upload .

I like to illustrate my contributions with a picture if it helps to show or explain something, but even pictures that have recently been shown on here are no longer accepted (I tried - just as a test).

“IMG_8816.heic” isn’t a supported file type.

The above message is displayed every time.

Hopefully just a glitch, but thought I would mention it so that it can be fixed.

Bob.
Never too old to learn

Sign in to add to this thread.

Delete this post?

It will be removed from the site.

Discard this draft?

Your draft will be deleted and cannot be recovered.

You have an unfinished draft

What would you like to do with it?