• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Tarpon hardware help
    by Gordon-B ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Able Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    7 Posts 6 Replies 11 Photos 4 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    bj8healey
    Recruit
    ๐Ÿ“ Tarpon hardware help
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Gordon I restored a tarpon about 2 years ago, I received it in a very bad state, holes cracks all over the boat, I put a 457RE385 motor 6-15 volts MFA combo drills, tried it with a 12 volt much to fast I run it with 7.5 volt still fast, a 6 volt would be ok, the tarpon is not the best boat on the turn it does roll a bit, the photos on the water is with a 7.5 volt powering the motor, hope this helps.

Cheers Dennis
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Gordon,
    "the boat is to be a present for my son. He works abroad for long periods and I reckon a lead acid would go flat beyond recovery."
    In that case an SLA (especially the types produced to power alarm and emergency lighting systems) would be your best bet. They can be left on trickle charge indefinitely. Two 6V in series might be better than one 12V to help with trimming out the boat. I use a pair of 6V 3Ah (about 600gm each) in my 135cm destroyer and 107cm submarine. They run for hours if I don't keep the pedal to the metal all the time. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Back home I stick 'em on the trickle charger and leave 'em until the next outing. They've lasted my several years so far. Much longer than my NiMhs.

An NiMh looses approx 1% of it's charge per day. So, assuming it starts fully charged, in 3 months or less it would be in Deep Discharge and have joined the Dodos๐Ÿ˜ญ
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Gordon-B
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 1 month ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Looking for more help please. I have settled for the Graupner Speed 600 8.4 Volt (4.8-9.6V) with the Mtroniks TIO Marine 30 Amp ESC driving a 3 blade brass 35mm prop. I need advise on what size of NiMh pack to use and will it be under propped with the 35mm 3 blade?
    Tarpon Man
    Gordon-B
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks Steve, my choice would have been lead acid, but the boat is to be a present for my son. He works abroad for long periods and I recon a lead acid would go flat beyond recovery.
    So my choice now is a NiMh Pack SubC of 9.8 or12V, minimum 5000mah in case he blows hiself up using LiPo's.
    I want the boat to have a speed around a brisk walking pace.
    Thank you again for your reply.
    Tarpon Man
    steve-d
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Pretty boat that.
    Probably know as much about motors as you do but, What may make a difference is what battery you intend to use,
    Style of boat does not make for rushing about the pond so a 12v lead acid battery would probably be in order in which case the 12v nominal motor would suit. if you plan to use Nicad 7.2v battery then the other motor is more suited.

waits to be shot down or should that be scuttled.
    Steve
    Gordon-B
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Here are the data charts for the 2 motors I purchased, which one would you recommend? I could send one back! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Tarpon Man
    Gordon-B
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Need help in selecting and matching motor, battery, ESC, prop etc. for my 1958 Tarpon scratch built from MM 494 plan.
    I am years out of date with the hobby and a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!
    I have purchased a Graupner Speed 600 8.4 Volt (4.8-9.6V) and an Mtroniks Speed M600 12 Volt. I also purchased the Mtroniks TIO Marine 30 Amp ESC .
    Please advise if I am on the right track and which motor to use.
    Also need help on prop and battery selection. Thank you, Gordon
    Tarpon Man

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info