• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Richardson/Southampton Smoke Generator
    by PittsfieldPete 🇺🇸 ( Petty Officer 1st Class)
    📣

Click To
    Follow
    12 Posts 11 Replies 4 Photos 13 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    figtree7nts
    Commodore
    📝 Richardson/Southampton Smoke Generator
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Hi Pete,

45 years, Wow! Well I'm glad you have some switches.
    you can use on your project!
    It wouldn't have been a problem. I would have sent you some switches! I'm glad you have some though!

Yes, Harbor Models is a good place to look for model supplies!
    There's also Cornwall model boat in the UK.
    They have a good amount of supplies as well!

I also know what you mean about your appointments!
    It always seams as if there not going to end!

Nick, is good people and very helpful!
    Let me know how you make out!

Ed
    "Fair winds calm Seas" 73's
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Hi, Ed:

Thanks very much for your kind offer, but this morning I found some switches in my almost 45-year (yikes!) accumulation of hobby-related stuff. The ones I’ve got will be just right for my project.

I’m going to contact Nick at Harbor Models tomorrow afternoon when I get home from my 854th doctor appointment since I got hurt. OK, it isn’t really that many but it sure seems like it. I believe I’ll be back home by 1:30pm, which will be 10:30am in California. That should be just right; Nick will have time to have a cup of coffee or two before I call & pester him.

By the way, I looked around on the Harbor Models website for a while today. I couldn’t believe what they have available! it would be really easy to spend a LOT of money very quickly on that site!

I won’t forget to tell Nick that Ed sent me!

Best regards,
    Pete
    “Work & play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions”. Mark Twain American Humorist & Author 1835 - 1910
    figtree7nts
    Commodore
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Hi Pete,

Doesn't it say on the instructions.
    How long of a run you will have with a fill up?

You are right that's why.
    I put switches on my smoker and fan!
    You don't want it smoking indoors!

Pete,

I have some very small switches.
    I had purchased!
    If you'd like I can send you two!
    I'm not too far from you!
    And I wouldn't mind sending you.
    The switches they are small.
    And would be just right for you model!

If you like I can PM you mailing details!

Regards, Ed
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Hey, Ed:

I noticed in one of your post about this topic you mentioned:

“PS. When you use the smoker.
    Don't let it dry out.
    You'll burn the coil!
    Just keep track of it!
    And have fun!!!”

When you say “when you [I] use the smoker”, I need to point out that I don’t have any control over it, as such. I can’t turn it “on” or “off”; smoke is automatically generated whenever the transmitter throttle is pushed forward or reverse. According to Hobby Engine’s response to my email: “smoke will be generated automatically when the boat runs”. Based on what you’re saying, Ed, which makes perfect sense to me, if my boat runs out of smoke liquid I should get it to shore a.s.a.p. because the there is a strong possibility that the smoke heating coil could burn out. it would be sort of like letting all of the water boil out of the pan on the stove; as soon as the water boils away the pot will weld itself to the stove top pretty quickly!

All of this gives me an idea. I think I’ll install an “on-off” switch for the smoke system blower & smoke oil heater. There’s more than enough room to add a switch on the deckhouse floor (close to the tug’s main power switch).

This would be helpful for maintenance work, too. I wouldn’t necessarily want smoke coming out of the stacks when I’ve got the boat indoors on the bench & I want to run the motors after shaft oiling or something.

My “to do” list keeps growing!!

Pete
    “Work & play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions”. Mark Twain American Humorist & Author 1835 - 1910
    figtree7nts
    Commodore
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Hi Pete,

About RNinMunich (Doug).
    He was having Computer problems a while back.
    And was off line for a bit! And is busy as of late!

I will email him and tell him you asked about him.
    And send your Regards!

Ed
    figtree7nts
    Commodore
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Morning Pete,

I'm so glad you found out where to put smoking liquid. 👍
    Especially where to put it!
    when you have the Tug smoking make a video!
    We would all like to see her smoking!

Now all she needs is her lights!
    But that's a different project....

PS. When you use the smoker.
    Don't let it dry out.
    You'll burn the coil!
    Just keep track of it!
    And have fun!!!😊
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Update:

I received a reply from Hobby Engine about the smoke generator system. They even included a drawing (attached) that shows where the smoke fluid is placed. it confirms that the fill point is where I learned it was today:

“Dear Pete:

The smoke will be generated automatically when the boat runs.
    You can use the hobby oil on the boat. The hobby oil can be easily found at the hobby stores in the neighborhood. The same in which people used for model trains. About 5-6 drops is enough”.

The hobby shop located a few miles away from my home sells model trains & they probably have smoke fluid available. The website where I found the pictures of the Southampton fill plug mentions that ordinary baby oil can be used in smoke generator systems. According to that website baby oil generates a lot of smoke & is very clean. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try a little bit in my boat to see how it performs.

I hope this information will be helpful to others who find themselves in the same boat (no pun intended) as me when they want to figure out how to work with Hobby Engine’s undocumented smoke generator system.

Many thanks again to you, Ed. Thanks to Hobby Engine, too, for your prompt, polite & helpful reply to my inquiry.

Best regards,
    Pete
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Hi, Ed:

I did more web searching & struck gold. I found some excellent photos & great information about the Southampton’s smoke system (the Southampton is identical to the Richardson except paint & markings).

Smoke fluid goes in the little tube on component “B”, not “A”. When the deckhouse floor is installed that little tube fits snugly into a raised ring on the inside surface of the deckhouse floor. The rubber plug goes through a hole in the deckhouse floor (see photos) to seal it up the filler tube.

I’m going to rework the filler tube arrangement by enlarging the hole in the floor so it’ll fit around an extension tube that I’ll add onto the existing filler tube. I’ll seal the extended filler tube with a snug-fitting vinyl cap (I have dozens of vinyl caps on hand). Doing this modification will make it a lot easier for my clumsy fumble-fingers when smoke fluid needs to be added.

I emailed Hobby Engine today via their website’s “contact us” page & asked them for information about the smoke system. I’m also going to contact Nick at Harbor Models tomorrow & ask him for advice as you suggested. I’ll be sure to “tell him
    Ed sent me”!

By the way, have you had any contact with Doug (RNinMunich) lately? I half expected him to offer up some advice about this topic. A couple of weeks ago I replied to something he posted on the “LED Mast Lights” topic, but he didn’t respond. I also sent him a PM to ask how he’s doing, but he didn’t respond. He used to reply pretty much right away whenever I asked him a question or for advice. I hope he’s all right & I also hope I didn’t say something that insulted him in some way. He did a lot of design work for my tug’s lighting upgrade project. That upgrade is definitely going to get done; it’s been held up all along by a string of eye infections, then my fall, surgery & recovery. if you hear from him please say “hello” for me.

I’ll post back later on & share whatever information I receive about the smoke system or fluid from either Hobby Engine or Nick at Harbor Models.

Thanks for your input & advice, Ed. I appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Pete
    figtree7nts
    Commodore
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Hi Pete,

Feel better that's for sure!
    Maybe after that you'll be able to.
    Do some work on your tug!

Pete,

It looks as if you would.
    Put the smoke liquid down part "A"!

Pete,

Your going to have to find that plug!
    But, I believe where the plug goes.
    That's where you put the smoking Liquid!

Don't you have the instructions to the model?
    Maybe you can get in contact.
    With Hobby Engine see if they'll send you a copy!

Regards, Ed

The smoker bottle come with a dropper.
    I would just put one or two dropper.
    Full of liquid see if that works!

Pete,

When you call Nick at Harbor Models.
    Tell him Ed from Connecticut sent you!
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    💬 Send PM
    Hi, Ed:

I’ve attached a photo of the deckhouse interior showing the two smoke generator components & tubing (these things have since been taken out of the deckhouse). As soon as I’m recovered enough I’m going to modify the existing wiring & finally add the lighting upgrades that Doug (RNinMunich) so kindly worked out for me.

The red arrow on the photo points forward. The object marked “A” is the blower motor. “B” is the generator; the short tube is where the rubber plug fits when the deckhouse floor is in place. (I’ve misplaced the rubber plug itself but I know it’s in one of the separate bags I put parts in when take something apart).

In the meantime, Ed, I’ll contact Nick as soon as I can as you suggested to ask for his advice, too.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Show 2 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info