• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Look for a simple balsa build
    by gman3000 πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Recruit)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    27 Posts 26 Replies 20 Photos 14 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Look for a simple balsa build
    Flag
    Online: 5 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "..... EezEbilts are all relatively easy to make even if there are a few minor errors which are so easily correctable......."

Since they are intended for beginners, ANY problem needs to be looked at. If it's a problem with the plan then I need to correct it - if it's a problem with the user not understanding something or getting it wrong, then I need to change the instructions or some other aspect of the plan to avoid the problem in the future.

The boats are intended to encourage modellers by helping them get a boat right first time. It says a lot for GMan's perseverance that he is still looking for a model to build after some initial frustration, no matter how it was caused...
    redpmg
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 30 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "I know this isn't a good help to the beginner, but, like everything else in life - we must learn from mistakes and we do all make mistakes no matter how good we are" from John.
    How right you are - been running the laser for commercial purposes for 10years (models are my hobby that I sneak in when I can) and still make mistakes. Life seems to be one long learning curve. Even my wife still makes mistakes and she's been using her laser since 1993! There is no substitute for experience and Dodgy's EezEbilts are all relatively easy to make even if there are a few minor errors which are so easily correctable.
    gman3000
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 11 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Look like a nice boat.
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I've actually made two of these, but gave the second away. Here are some pics of it with the better bow - you will see that it also has operating fire hoses....
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "........If you notice there is a mistake on the bow and I am sure Dodgy will notice it straight away........."

If that's an early plan, then I put the mistake there. And then tried to correct it with an 'error' sheet, and then got so confused that I just hung lots of warnings around it and planned to update it at some point. I'm waiting for a good reason to build another one and produce a better plan...

That was the first 50+ Eezebilt I made, and I only had web photos to work off - so I wasn't sure what the bow should look like anyway. I should really take it down - but John has produced a great little boat from what's up there, and it's a classic shape for only about Β£10 worth of balsa...

The point of the EezEbilts is to introduce people to boat building. If the Curlew has done that, then it's done its job, and Gman can go on to bigger and better things with a bit of experience, acquired as cheaply as possible....
    gman3000
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 11 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for all the input I will check these out as time allows😊

Thanks
    JOHN
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    hi there
    this is a build from Dodgy Geezers website - I did this a few year ago - its the fireboat obviously - I have yet to sail this. Its been bath tested but not tested on the lake.

While we are on discussing about inaccuracy in plans I think it must be borne in mind that its part of the modeller's skill to learn. To take a plan as a basic thing and work from that at adjusting the measurements & etc all the time.

There are very few plans that I have worked from where I can take direct measurements and transfer it to the material I am working on and knowing that they are going to be right. Even, to the plans we can get from the National Museums.

I know this isn't a good help to the beginner, but, like everything else in life - we must learn from mistakes and we do all make mistakes no matter how good we are.

If you notice there is a mistake on the bow and I am sure Dodgy will notice it straight away - as I made a mistake on the bow of the model.

That's life :-) John
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "........I have found that most old hand drawn plans are inaccurate......."

I bow to your experience, of course! My rather more limited exposure to vintage model plans is that they are indeed inaccurate. Your points are all true, and on top of that wood and paper can shrink and warp over the years. I handled that on the initial EeZeBilts by providing a copy of the die-cut sheets as well as the 'improved' cutting lines, which were 'what I thought the designer meant'.

It was still hard to be sure that I had got things right, because manual cutting from plans introduces more errors - but now that I have a cutting machine that source of errors should be minimised.

I originally thought that PDF format was a good one to use for distribution, since it was meant to be a 'facsimile image' - but I didn't realise that people can set their printers up to do all sorts of default formatting, which can alter sizes...
    redpmg
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 30 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Having owned a laser cutter for nearly 10 years , I have found that most old hand drawn plans are inaccurate and a lot of the old die cut kit parts are not only inaccurate but in most cases the bulkheads for instance are asymmetrical.
    When making a model you have to first correct the bulkheads etc (not difficult using Corel) and then cut a prototype to determine what further errors there are. Back to the drawing board to correct those, and then a further test cut etc. In the early days it would take about 6 versions to correct all the errors , but with experience have now whittled it down to about 3 as areas likely to have errors can be anticipated. There is also the difficulty of for instance "3mm" thick material that can vary from about 2.7mm to 3.4mm and that can mean parts don't fit.

Having said that I have cut most of the EezEbilt models from the site and the errors are minor besides being balsa they are easy to correct especially using water-resistant quick drying PVA glue. With enlarged versions you have to correct the slots etc so its easy enough to check on Corel for any inaccuracies. (That is one of the beauties of digital plans - you can produce a model at any size you choose). Most Lasers use dxf CAD files which Corel converts for you either way importing or exporting. One of the drawbacks my partner and I see is that in CAD drawings a curve is represented by a large number of straight lines which makes for a very large file. In Corel a curve is simply a curve and hence a much smaller file.

PDF files are very problematic for most modellers as for instance two files imported from the same source can vary in size dramatically and you then have parts that don't match. The same applies to printing pdf plans in parts on an A4 printer - the pages very often don't line up. JPG files are much less of a problem as sizes go.

My personal feeling is that the mismatch of parts is probably due to the use of pdf files with their associated problems. Some printers unfortunately do not allow you to adjust sizes other than in a rudimentary fashion.
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Am I correct in assuming that the front deck was too small in all dimensions - not long enough and not wide enough? Can you remember about how small it was?

Quite a lot of people have downloaded the Curlew with no issues, including people who have made 'double sized' versions (which would magnify any error), so I am very interested in seeing where the problem lies.

It may be that there is some arrangement of the files that lets printing happen at different scales?
    Show 17 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info