• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Follower
    RAF Range Safety launch help.
    by overthesea ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Able Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    3 Posts 2 Replies 0 Photos 1 Like
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Lyle
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ RAF Range Safety launch help.
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    So easy , it took me months years to come to grips with the model . It was the SAME issue as I tried to work out to build the bedstead aerial . it was one of those 45 am dreams of model boats and I just made a BALSA plug and bent wire around it and then soft fuse wired the top prongs together and the bottom prongs together. I soldered the whole top thicket of wire twigs and the bottom twigs then with my dremel cutting disc cut each twiggy mess away and then shaped the top and bottom similarly and had a wire well shaped BASKET skinny and vertical and SCALE. I picked out the hard balsa plug and soldered the mast and mounting apparatus etc . Well the rest of the model was a dream with a super tiger 21/23 for years and now an OS 25 FSR and she is probably 20 years young now . Regards Lyle. I will try for pics
    nasraf
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Sorry I cannot be much help in suggestions as to how to make the aerial. This was the aerial for the VHF comms system that was the common transmitter/receiver system used by the RAF at the time 1950's, for its time and using valves it was compact device.
    When I was doing my national service at RAF Mountbatten we were just fitting the first UHF systems to the RTTL the I do not remember what the aerial looked like then although it is probable that this was never fitted to the RSLs.
    In my time 1960/62 the RSLs never had any contact with aircraft and were mainly used for dingy drill for aircrew, I.e. taking pilots outside the breakwater and getting them to jump off the boat with their lifejackets on, and with an uninflated dingy, which they had to inlate and get into whilst the RSL would run up and down trying to make as many waves as possible.
    overthesea
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 30 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Has anyone built a 42" RAF Range Safety Launch? I am In the process of finishing off one but am stuck as to how to make the radar basket at the top of the foremast.If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. I have tried using brass rings and brass wire but have failed miserably.> ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info