• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    First time Thames Sailing Barge Build
    by Cragrat πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Able Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    14 Posts 13 Replies 0 Photos 20 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Cragrat
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ First time Thames Sailing Barge Build
    Flag
    Online: 11 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for your kind reply. I will contact Dave and talk to him and see where I go. It is nice to have helpful people around for a novice like myself. Again I will keep you updated and I am sure I will probably keep looking for advice.πŸ‘πŸ˜Š
    Nerys
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 16 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Why not buy a moulded hull from Dave Watts, I know it won't be Lady D but there are only minor differences. Probably his James W Piper would be the nearest in shape, but I'm sure he'd advise you if he thought one of his other hulls would be better. I've built two different barges from that hull and both have turned out very successfully.

All the best, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Cragrat
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Just to let everyone who has replied about where I am at. Have been to Guildhall Museum and seen model Lady Daphne. Very small scale but got some good photos. Will be building at 1/32 scale and Mastman has lots of parts in this scale. I live in Maidstone in Kent and now looking for suggestions on best suppliers of modelling woods please. Thanks again in advance for help and support. SteveπŸ‘πŸ˜Š
    redpmg
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Steve if you are going to build the Daphne as a static display any good copy shop can enlarge or decrease the size of the plan you have to suit your needs. Work out what % size you need and ask them to scan and print at that size. Even our local shop here has the ability to do so - they produced paper plans at 200% for a friend. You might also bear in mind that you possibly will want to sail the barges sometime in the future
    Nerys
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I expect you know that both Lady Daphne and Lady Jean were built by Short Bros at their Borstal factory in the mid 1920's. There are lots of photos of them around as both are still sailing. Models of them are often based on the James Piper hull from Mastman. Good luck with your project, but I still hope the bug gets you and you build a sailing model sometime soon.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Cragrat
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    if I can sort the scale size issue and build successfully I will build the Lady Jean (my mum's middle name) and have the pair on display. Since your last post I have been Googling for info and Rochester Guildhall museum have model Daphne on display. Live very close so going to see and hopefully get loads of photos to help. Retirement may be my time for sailing model. Regards Steve 😊
    Nerys
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Purely as a matter of interest, I worked with an elderly shipwright many years ago who had been one of the team that built Lady Daphne. Hope in building a static model, you catch the barge bug and build a sailing model next.

Nerys
    Cragrat
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Also should have said got plans for Lady Daphne (my mum's first name) so would like to build this vessel particularly. This may cause the re-think. i appreciate the pointers😊
    Cragrat
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Firstly thanks to you and redpmg for your replies. The model will be static as a memorial to my mother who was named after two barges by my grandfather who was a bargeman. The scale fits the size of my house and saw Billings model at this size so thought it may work. Dave Watts Mastman has replied to an e-mail I sent and may be able to help. Will let you know how it goes or about a re-think asap. Once again Regards SteveπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘
    Nerys
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I'm not sure, but I have an idea the Billings kit is only intended as a static model, but as redpmg says it is a bit of a toy. My first barge was a 30" hull from Dave Watts and I have been well pleased with her performance. She is the subject of my avatar picture.

All the best, Nerys
    Show 4 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info