• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    So much for airyplanes...
    by Westquay ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Commander)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    7 Posts 6 Replies 0 Photos 2 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Westquay
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ So much for airyplanes...
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ian,
    Itchen Ferry boats are lovely old vessels. My passion in boats is coastal inshore fishing boats, old yachts and mahogany speedboats. Pretty much nothing else. I never find any interest in these boats anywhere else. Although I have been a professional modelmaker for years, I am as keen on restoring old toy boats as making fancy scale models. So free sailing is a nice break from radio stuff.
    If you do Facebook, we can talk on chat, but the rest of that stuff I don't even know about! I've heard of Skype, but no idea how to use it . I don't possess a mobile 'phone, so nothing on those means much to me. On FB I'm Martin Field.

Cheers,
    M
    Lemmerhengst
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Martin,
    Thanks for swift reply. She looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous, with an impeccable pedigree!
    I just love to find links with things...
    Vanity, built by Dan Hatcher 1885 cost Gn1800
    Wonder, designed and built by Dan Hatcher at Itchen Ferry 1860 Cost ยฃ40
    My father had Freedom (an itchen ferry yacht) for a short while just after WW2 and that was the time when he photographed Wonder, I was about 8 years old.
    Vanity.... linked to the Americas Cup
    Lionheart J /H1, is in Antigua, my grandson is the bosun, will be competing in Americas Cup NZ, Dec 2020, his brother is a crewmember on Ranger J5 also due for NZ cup series.

Is it possible to contact you direct, Skype, What's App or some such ( I believe the site has strict rules
    and as on old newbie I don't want trouble)
    Again thanks for swift reply, peaceful moorings...
    Ian
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi,
    the cutter IS the one in my avatar. That was taken when she toured the south coast. She was built in 1885 as the Mary in Dan Hatcher's old yard (Wm. Black and son) for the son of the Attorney General, Sir John Gaspard le Marchant Romilly, known to his mates as Cosmo, as a 21st birthday present and cost 1800 guineas. She was the highest possible spec. , being teak on oak, copper bottomed and copper fastened to Lloyds 100 A1 18+. When she was almost new she raced the then Americas' cup winner over the same course and beat her. She then did a tour of the East coast of the Americas. Alas, the rules were soon changed and she no more raced and come the first War she became a house boat, first called Madrena and finally Vanity. I lived on her in Burnham-on-Crouch for three years. She ended her days in a yard next to the SS Great Britain in Bristol where, I should think she fell to bits as the turd who owned her did nothing with her.
    My model of her is based on the lines of Clara from Traditions and Memories of American Yachting, which has a generous number of lines of British craft and Clara was closest to Vanity's plank on edge shape. It is made from the mahogany (Honduras) which was sawn from chairs my grandfather made which had broken due to central heating and storage. It is epoxied using J cloth and WEST epoxy with vast amounts of rubbing down and re-epoxying. It has a plywood sheet deck which is then laid over with sycamore. That and "cabinet made" deck houses in the same mahogany is about where I'm up to. I hate fitting out, so the rudder and sail servos are part fitted. The masting is done, but the sails may prove troublesome as my wife's sewing machine seems to be kaput and I cannot justify Nylet prices for bespoke gaffer sails!

Thanks for your interest.

Martin
    Lemmerhengst
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Can you give details of the classic cutter that you are building please, is it like the lovely one on your site I/d picture ?
    I'm just about to start a model of SU120 'Wonder', a 19ft Itchen Ferry fishing smack. The hull will be 38''loa (1/6 scale) As a child I remember my father pointing her out at Eling at the top of Southampton Water in the late 1940s
    Fair winds to you Lemmerhengst
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug, I built the Cub in three days and have half covered it, then the bloody covering company ceased trading!
    I do have some Cub yellow ordinary film, but was using Solartex, which looks like scale fabric. I might have enough as I'd bought a BIG roll when I needed a tiny bit to cover the cowling of my model of the record boat Miss Britain III. Hadn't touched it for years, but it still worked and I quickly got the hang of the iron on techniques. I built a small electric trainer and also bought a large IC engined trainer from a club mate. I had a suitable 40 sized Enya, so that was installed, but that's where it all stopped, due to the weather. So, I busied myself with slot cars and the Vincent bike pattern (mainly running that whole project for the guy as he has no clue!)
    But the Cub now hangs up from the ceiling and has more hooks hanging from it from which painted car bodies hang! I also built a Flite Test electric Spitfire with extra detailing. They say Spitfires don't fly, but the special under wing shape of the Flite Test model ensures no tip stall and perfect flight. So, NO crashes yet and everything is still in one piece. The silence was mainly being busy.

Martin
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Oh well, I hope you managed to get my old Piper Cub off the ground at least once!
    I was wondering how you had got on with it.
    Suspected that the silence meant that you'd pranged it on it's maiden flight๐Ÿค”
    Would love a photo or two of her in finished condition after all those years 'on the shelf'.
    Stay safe!
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello all, well some will know that I have always wanted to do model flying and last year I did just that as my once distant "local" model flying club moved very close to me and turned out to be half the cost of the others, so I joined.
    I met a very friendly bunch of lads, lots of banter, help with modern RC gear and coffee. I had three lessons and a few free sessions with other members' models and my own where they took off, I flew and they landed with no crashes.
    All was going really well, then the weather came. I have not now flown since October as the access track is a quagmire and the walk is too far to the field from a lane where parking is not really an option.

So, now I'm thinking... should I just stay with model yachts? We have water close by and God knows the wind never stops in the Flatlands. I do have a 4 foot model of my old Victorian cutter home to finish off and a Vic Smeed Veronica which I'll take on holiday in May (assuming this lurgey fuss hasn't closed the site).
    Paying for a year's subs at the flying club and getting little more than half the year seems pointless. I have permission to fly small electrics at the local playing fields, but that only works during school time as the field is full of feckless youth in the holidays.
    I'm thinking save my subs money and spend it on petrol to get to the nearest walk round pond where, we can both enjoy a cream tea afterwards and some Cromer crab to bring home.
    I seem, all my life to have been prevented from flying models. I have actually flown more real aircraft than models! Which helped me immensely once on the RC sticks. I knew exactly what to do.
    Maybe, now the weather has improved I'll just go outside and finish Vanity. Still needs its decks finishing and sails have to be saved up for.
    Now I know why I took to slot cars so readily.

Martin

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info