• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    New member advice required on what to use
    by Robert 87 πŸ‡«πŸ‡· ( Recruit)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    5 Posts 4 Replies 4 Photos 7 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    pmdevlin
    Lieutenant
    πŸ“ New member advice required on what to use
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Robert,

Im assuming that picture is generic, its not your finished boat?

Brushless motors are fine for any application, the choice after the spec is outrunner, or inrunner, the former probably the cheaper and more readily available. Just ensure that you have nothing danging around next to it as the outer can rotates, very fastπŸ‘
    Water cooling only if it needs it, it probably wont, however you will find that most specific boat brushless escs will have water cooling, if it has it, (hobbyking are best source) then use it, as some of the hobbyking escs rely on this as they don't have cooling plates inside. Its a simple thing to plumb it in, make you own water pickup, and exit if you have the tools, the shop bought ones are cheap, but sometimes look ugly. Simple bit of brass or ally tube, between the prop and rudder, bent to face the water from the prop,epoxy into the hull, some plastic tube (you will have all this from planes!) to the esc, then from esc to an outlet, at transom tends to be the nicest looking!

Paul

Consideration is the motor shaft diameter, and the propshaft as you will need a coupling, that's capable also of the higher revving motor.

SHG Marine are a model boat parts dealer, they sell all of the couplingsd etc, propshafts, and usua;lly have a good srtock of plastic two blade "x" props, grab a couple to test with , 45mm, 50mm I woulds suggest
    Pics for reference, the HK escs in the pics are bullet proof, I made water cooling plates for the motors on that boat, it didnt need them, and exited the water pickup via the two engine exhausts on the transom, looked cool when the boat was running!, inside the boat, I used alloy rod instead of plastic tube just for ashthetic reasons as it was a four foot boat and a long run from teh pickups to the esc's
    Nerys
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I think you've made a very nice job of her, a credit to you, especially as it's so long since you did any modelmaking.

Well done, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Robert 87
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Certainly is, a nice looking beast πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Ron
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Is this the model you are asking about?

I am not familiar with them, but others on this website will be.
    Robert 87
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    My first venture into model boats. I have lived in France for 15 years after retiring as a draughtsman at age 60. A lifetime of building r/c aircraft almost entirely glo powered and member of a local very friendly flying club.
    I suffered a stroke just into the new year but have recovered well and keen to carry on my modelling hobbies. I have a fairly large well equipped workshop in our adjacent barn which is unfortunately a tad cold and drafty to work in. With this in mind i thought maybe if i build a boat it can be constructed on the kitchen table in the warm.
    I have bought a SLEC Huntress for my first attempt and it was delivered incredibly in under three days from the UK!
    I now need to purchase the required hardware of which SLEC can provide most, but the electrics have to be sourced elsewhere.
    My questions are this:
    1) Recommended propulsion is Turnigy 3542/6 1000Kv which is out of stock with Hobby King. I have found alternative equivalents but they state for model drone use so would they suffice for model boat use?
    2) Recommended ESC is 60a with reverse. Does this need to be water cooled? Cornwall Model Boats seem to be a good source.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Robert

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info