• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    problems cutting 1/8 bulkheads
    by samc πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Master Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    7 Posts 6 Replies 4 Photos 14 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ problems cutting 1/8 bulkheads
    Flag
    Online: 22 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ages ago, I bought a band saw, second hand, at the Sunday Market (no longer held, alas). It cost me a princely Β£12, there were three to choose from, I picked the one that seemed in best nick. Bought 5 different blades off ebay for Β£13, the first of which is still in it! A wee pot of plastic grease for the bearings and away we went. I have made 4 model boats and heaven knows how many slot car patterns from Ureol (Renshape) and the blade is still sharp enough to snag me when it occasionally comes off the pulleys. By contrast, a scroll saw is fussy, difficult to control and limited in capacity. My son has three (different sizes), but I could never bring myself to abuse them like he does, so for me they'd be too slow and despite being a professional modelmaker, I have absolutely no patience!

Martin
    samc
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    πŸ‘Thanks for replying, I have been thinking of buy one. Between my model trains, building builds from scratch and know boats.. it might be my next b-day gift to my self. since no one else has any idea on what to by me.
    good to know about the saw blades, didn't know that one.

will add the other boat to the harbour. start tonight.
    thank you guys for an answer.
    I thought it was going to be that answer or answers..
    oh yes and its
    Wilmington,,, NC...
    it is a nice place... real nice.. was just out side NYC and i'm so glad we moved, retired, 10 years ago... it is so nice down here, its not what you would think, its not the deep south,, more of a beach and college town..
    thank you again.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Sam,
    I heartily agree with Martin. A scroll saw is the easiest way.
    You don't need to spend hundreds of bucks for what we need.
    Since this is your 4th 'woodie' I strongly suspect and hope there will be some moreπŸ‘
    So it's worth a moderate investment. Go for itπŸ‘

Found this little job on Amazon.com which should do the job nicely.
    Not too expensive, about a 100 green-backs ALL IN, has everything we need and I think you can use standard hand fret saw blades in it (like mine😊) which is usually cheaper than the saw manufacturer's replacement blades.πŸ€‘

https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Speed-Scroll-HF-tools/dp/B00...
    Don't know if you're in Wilmington Delaware or North Carolina (my spies are everywhere😁) but I guess it shouldn't matter re delivery.
    Let us know how you get on please😊
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    BTW How about putting the first three boats in your harbour?
    We'd love to see what you've been doingπŸ‘
    https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Speed-Scroll-HF-tools/dp/B001NO7UCS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=scroll+saw&qid=1586887222&refresh=1&rnid=2941120011&s=hi&sr=1-3
    πŸ”—
    The Bugs are on the run 😊 ❄️❄️❄️ Get out and run those Sea Trials!! πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Martin555
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The way i would look at it is If you plan on making a quite a few models then a midrange priced one.
    If you only plan on making the one model then there is no point in paying out a small fortune so it is cheeper to purchase a hand coping saw.

As for which one to get i would not say get this one or that one as it will depend on price and the quality that you want.
    As you live in the USA then maybe ask in your local DIY stores to see what they recommend and on the availability as it might be difficult with all of the virus lockdowns
    I don't know if this helps.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    samc
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you
    I thought that was going to be the answer.. i guess there is no real simple why,
    i guess if your going to build a scratch build boat you should be a electric scroll saw, any ideas on which one
    it good ???
    thank you for answer
    samc
    Martin555
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Samc

An electric scroll saw is the best and easiest way or a coping saw similar to this sort of thing.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Coping-Saw-Diamond-Wire-Saw-Fra...

Martin555.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Coping-Saw-Diamond-Wire-Saw-Frame-Jade-Metal-Wire-Saw-Blade-Cutting-Tool-Kit/313018299213?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item48e158334d:g:IgMAAOSwC9ReX4gi&enc=AQAEAAACYIQvEcHUrT7nmUC3yY5qbPyaBN1nJEDYW8MyypsJPgXK9t7xxMj3q%2B%2B%2Bz%2BPuf4iZrcGqt7sg5N2GeoeEvN3BmsbHVuOP1eMoIraeZANWKZy3L1pKtLzqGNoa4HlbVuLpD6oZ5oOJoO5BeJimaBnSrrVPYkXGuZt38ifX81%2FwdZII40epscSNtLzkKoeurxF39INkPvBtpeFgSnB%2FYpbxySxp6xj%2FGAqvF0ylRackZoq0H5AAFMdxo4csUsjwKJlPbmj%2Fajv4ZPK6MZWyB7M%2BbBq3n16XzpcurK4mAkhMmpKEFu81sRVW67wFs60aZ1OpR28k%2FCCzpVDgE8%2FSom6C7VQZWJ%2BbiNCDKoSUsRrNalxmo3MBrue44a1StntXJi0JvqmWh506SBbWV6dHFFvGjALHYfv6%2FLRKI5gBzQ1AohmOBKvVXgD%2FhCDn2l6s3WYABX42pa34iRbmSAVN1nAo%2Bjn4FWPMOca4zZV3rWTds3HJWzbIYfdr9Y0ENE3TMwsY0in1%2FPJ1VN%2FL8UlugwjnyviuHNmZJMcPSbevQJHSluIDw%2FowAI%2B1y5pNYjINa6tK3icps1jX7lzGZgtFfLDR7EfXGgKMp42sqbz2A7LlaPB1GAImRfqitPQNDmi4HQ6Up6sKxLbcmnYh0XmuGPziCINxo4dVy5Qp8J2siiTOXkSBAnmndWprrwYIhgxKALoFiQzK%2FQnInY%2FaQpEcgKHQctLST9lpL9IwQtMsFF7xOLNU%2B3zZQBxXBqr%2FvzitFHkdQIovrr7PgglkJ3DFUESLPgFuqyCIKBUyIOdlct%2FB9XU6&checksum=313018299213e77facf7e062473289a89b0829840880
    πŸ”—
    If it looks right it probably is.
    samc
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hello
    last night i looked over my model 1948 Elco 35 Cruisette Model Boat from Marine Model (old)
    i bought a while ago, and i know it was going to be missing some parts. so i started to inventor the parts and need to make several bulkheads and others. Ok so i started to cut a N02 bulkhead from the forms / cut out that can with it.. it just seemed like a pain how is was doing it... traced the form onto a piece of 1/8 ply wood and started with hobby knife cutting. too a lot longer
    So the question is is there an easier way ??
    this is my third wood boat build so i have a little skill
    i do not have a electric scroll saw , is that the answer, i should get one or is there a better method. have been playing with the thought of a scratch build of a cabin cruiser. now i'm wondering is i have the skills and patients
    any help will help me
    Rom seems to know a lot, but i'm not sure how to message him

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info