• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Prop Shaft Support and Water Scoop
    by neilmc πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    10 Posts 9 Replies 4 Photos 13 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    bruce1946
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Prop Shaft Support and Water Scoop
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Here is best explanation of a stuffing box Harbor models is in California but I would think Cornwall models would have it. Harbor models makes them and sells them. https://www.harbormodels.com/shaftstuffbox.html
    there are also stuffing box adapters you can buy that clamp around the prop shaft. that can be used being as you have installed your shaft already, also might think of putting a nylon washer at each end of your prop tube to act as a seal
    https://www.ebay.com/i/362483988855?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1...
    https://www.harbormodels.com/shaftstuffbox.html
    πŸ”—
    https://www.ebay.com/i/362483988855?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=362483988855&targetid=883564623986&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1024479&poi=&campaignid=6469750549&mkgroupid=93041470030&rlsatarget=pla-883564623986&abcId=1141176&merchantid=101682329&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxtaInPKj6QIVhobACh0yowLoEAQYAiABEgKT6vD_BwE
    πŸ”—
    Martin555
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Neil,
    It is not a silly question, As different people and countries call things differently.

Nylon "Net curtains" if that makes any sense.

I have also used bandage (First aid) material with slow setting Araldite as it soaks in to the cloth.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    neilmc
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Martin a silly question but what do mean by nylon curtain? Cheers Neil
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water πŸ€”
    Newby7
    Midshipman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Stuffing box is the outside unit glue or epoxied into the boat that the prop shaft runs in.Silicon grease is used inside the stuffing box to help keep water from going up the shaft .
    Rick
    neilmc
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for the responses and still like the idea of car filler as bought some for the task ages ago. I will be looking at the different glues and fillers mentioned though.
    One small question what's a stuffing box?
    Also wondered if I should have posted this photo as well with the mention of making it look like the keel is holding it. As the keel would now look as if its in two.
    Cheers and be safe
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water πŸ€”
    MouldBuilder
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Although I think your wood support is very good, I use Stabilit express glue on all water tight areas such as this. A little expensive but reliable.
    Peter.πŸ‘
    I promise I will finish a boat project before I start another......Maybe.
    Newby7
    Midshipman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Can you make an angled piece and slip it under the stuffing box making it look like the keel fixing it in place.
    Rick
    Spock66
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 14 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Neil,
    I've used Araldite for a long time and had no problems at all. P38 is equally a great space filler. As a strange add on, I've also poured liquid Silicon mould maker around the rudder post (Something like GP-3481F or a cheaper brand equivalent), Prop shaft entry and water scoop inlet area to not only provide a great water proofing, but it also worked to quieten down vibration sound travelling through the hull - it damps a lot of things and the softer grades don't adversely affect buoyancy or add to flotation issues. Just remember to plug the water inlet to make sure no silicon goes down the tube.
    Martin555
    Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Neil,
    I have used isopon p38 car filler and had no problems.
    I have also used Araldite to glue mounting blocks to the inside of the hull to take the RC equipment again with on problems.

If you want to add a little more strength you could add bits of nylon curtain and cover with ether car filler or Araldite.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    neilmc
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hope everyone is safe and enjoying lockdown?

I've been away from this for a while but would love some advice.
    I had major issues with the prop having to remove it with great difficulty. But after some excellent advice and it being sorted thats were it stopped. I may have some time now though between work and decorating jobs from the boss.
    The last advice I can remember is that I needed some form of stiffening on my shaft πŸ˜‰ which I believe was just to use car filler to fill the gap between the hull and the prop shaft. Wasn't quite sure how to achieve this so thought I could place a piece of ply to provide some support to the shaft but also to build the filler up against.
    What do you guys think?
    Also I purchased some new remote gear with a water cooled speed controller. A new water scoop was purchased and wonder if its in the right sort of place. Also would fixing it in with araldite be OK as the threaded section doesn't go all the way through the hull. I still have the original but think its long now the angle of the shaft has changed.
    What do you guys think?
    The rudder and serci is a different matter and a question for another day.
    Thanks and stay safe πŸ‘

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info