• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Shaft Movement
    by neilmc ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    3 Posts 2 Replies 0 Photos 5 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    neilmc
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Shaft Movement
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug
    Superstar thanks for that sounds so simple ๐Ÿ˜†
    At both ends of the shaft I have a thrust washer and nut does that sound right? Yeah managed to remember the Allen nuts and ensured they were tight.
    Had a quick look tonight and there is definitely much more than 10thou so will sort it at the weekend and see what happens.
    Enjoy your jamming session if you manage to get one in ๐Ÿ‘
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water ๐Ÿค”
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Shaft Movement
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Dead simple Neil!
    Too much slack between the thrust washer and the shaft tube at the prop end.
    Any excessive movement there when going ahead, caused by the highly desirable thrust of the prop๐Ÿ˜‰, is mirrored at the coupling end. Hence your 'traffic' jam!๐Ÿค”
    You can easily check the amount of movement. Simply pull the prop back as far as you can and measure the gap between the locknut/thrust washer and the end of the shaft tube.
    Reduce it to about 10 thou.
    If you run out of thread at the prop end to do this then you will need to adjust the coupling end as well by moving it closer to the prop tube.
    If you can use a dished or 'crinkle' type thrust washer, they have more resistance to being pushed forward and have a spring back effect.
    The above adjustment should be done with the coupling up against the inboard thrust washer.
    That should leave more than enough movement in the coupling without jamming.
    (I enjoy a good Jam Session on the drums though!๐Ÿ˜)
    Hope that sorts things out.
    Smooth sailing๐Ÿ‘
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    PS The coupling cannot 'move away from the prop shaft' (unless you forgot the Allen screws๐Ÿ˜ฎ), it can only move away from the shaft tube!
    The Bugs are on the run ๐Ÿ˜Š โ„๏ธโ„๏ธโ„๏ธ Get out and run those Sea Trials!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    neilmc
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Shaft Movement
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I'm sure this has been covered many times so sorry to start it again. I've had problems in the past with the shaft which resulted in using the tap and twist method from RNinMunich to rectify it ๐Ÿ‘
    The new brushless motor and shaft were aligned using an alignment tube so all was good two years when the Crash Tender last saw the light of day. Instead of concentrating on my other post I thought I'd see if things still worked decided to grease the shaft and removed it. Why oh why did I do that and not use the oiler pipe as things went wrong.
    All was good until I went full ahead and the motor screamed stop. All seems fine going astern but when I go ahead at anything more than half throttle the universal coupling moves away from the prop shaft and would eventually cause everything to jam, I checked the Allen nuts were tight, checked the thrust washer and nuts and all seems good.
    Its obviously not right so please help any ideas on what I've done wrong?
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water ๐Ÿค”

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info