• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Checking batteries
    by Newby7 ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ( Midshipman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    16 Posts 15 Replies 6 Photos 21 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ianh
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Checking batteries
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I still have a Skyleader Transmitter 27Mhz! It is equipped with DEACS and still holds a charge not bad for close to 50 Years!
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Checking batteries
    Flag
    Online: 3 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ian,
    Actually I was referring to commercial aircraft (apropos the Dreamliner reference) but I take your point.
    I just wanted to reassure our newbies that things have changed and improved since those Boeing/Samsung incidents๐Ÿ˜Š
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    The Bugs are on the run ๐Ÿ˜Š โ„๏ธโ„๏ธโ„๏ธ Get out and run those Sea Trials!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Ianh
    ๐Ÿ“ Re: Checking batteries
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Doug
    I just used the Samsung as an example.
    As we know better now on batteries especially the new types are now fully acceptable and proven by the flying types who seem to have money to waste! At our local flying field, I saw a GBP7000.00 Jet blow up on take-off maiden flight as well) Follow the instructions and watch the Temperatures If they hot STOP! A good idea of temperature is at 65Deg C you can put your hand on it but it feels hot.
    Used to have a local battery dealer near me who charged Lead Acid batteries in an enclosed yard he was doing about 30 car batteries a day so our locals could watch TV You can guess what happened A massive explosion because he was fast charging all the time
    Regards
    Ian
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Checking batteries
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "Not forgetting the Dreamliner !๐Ÿ˜ฎ"๐Ÿ‘Ž
    I wish to heck we could all forget the Dreamliner (and the Samsung story).
    That was a whole different battery generation and a different chemistry from our LiPos.
    Both companies apparently also made some errors in the construction, installation and charging arrangements. Was still the early days of such applications and the lessons have been learned. No one worries about all the Lithium batteries in aircraft today. Do they?
    I hope the doomers and gloomers will eventually stop digging up these outdated examples.
    Obey the simple rules for our LiPos and they're no problem at all.
    As with most things; look for the cheapest (no name)and you may well get something dodgy.

Remember; overcharge a wet cell lead acid (e.g. car battery), come into the room and light a fag or whatever - and boom goes the hydrogen / oxygen mix produced when the overcharged battery vents.
    A so called SLA gel battery is also not permanently sealed. More correctly called a VRLA (valve-regulated leadโ€“acid) battery. It will also vent inflammable gas if maltreated. Wet or gel cell the electrolyte is still diluted sulphuric acid.
    NiMh batts will also revenge themselves if you mistreat them.
    Read the instructions that come with your LiPo batts, buy a charger specifically designed to charge them, USE the balancing cable and they're as safe as any other 'box of energy'.

Apropos charging: Don't be deluded by the advertising and marketing blurb (the 'C' values) which indicate that a battery can deliver 20 or 40 or whatever times the current of it's capacity in Amp-Hours (Ah).
    E.g. 20C for a 4000mAh battery:
    More marketing blurb, 4000mAh seems more than 4Ah ๐Ÿ™„
    Therefore 20C = 80Amps. So far so good, apparently!
    BUT a perfect and fully charged battery of 4Ah can theoretically deliver 4A for 1 hour.
    Or 8A for half an hour - you get the drift!
    At the end of which it will be completely discharged and ruined.
    Discharge at 80A and it will last 4/80 = 0.05hours or 3 minutes, if it doesn't go pop before that.
    As you can (I hope) imagine the situation with the '40C' etc batteries is even worse.
    Same applies for charging. Fast charging with multiples of 'C' is quoted.
    Often printed on the battery cases. E.g. 10C/40C charge / discharge. 10C would be a charge current of 40A for this example๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Another marketing ploy. Charging at such high rates rapidly destroys the chemistry of the battery and it's internal construction and drastically shortens the battery's life.
    WHICH IS JUST WHAT THEY WANT US TO DO!
    Cos it means we have to buy more batteries to replace the ones we just killed and pour money into the manufacturers coffers.
    NEVER charge any LiPo or even NiMh at more than 1Amp if you want them to last. A 'fast charge' for me would be at 2A if I'm pushed for time๐Ÿค”
    Use an intelligent charger designed for your battery type (or types) which knows when to stop charging.
    Check the current drain of your loads, i.e. motors and size the capacity of your battery to suit that and the endurance (time on the pond) you want and you'll get years of use out of it.
    Exploit the 'C' values to the quoted limits and you'll maybe get a few days use.
    After that you'll see at best a rapid deterioration of useful charge held and operating time.
    At worst total collapse of one or more cells and expansion (puffing) of the battery case.
    Happy sailing and respect your batteries!๐Ÿ˜‰
    Cheers All, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    The Bugs are on the run ๐Ÿ˜Š โ„๏ธโ„๏ธโ„๏ธ Get out and run those Sea Trials!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    jbkiwi
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Checking batteries
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Not forgetting the Dreamliner !๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    JB
    Ianh
    ๐Ÿ“ Checking batteries
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Samsung 7 was a good example of what can happen Even worse with Lipos
    unknowndna
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Checking batteries
    Flag
    Online: 12 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I saw them come up on my post but I didn't put them there.
    Newby7
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Checking batteries
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thank Doug lots to choose from.
    Rick
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Checking batteries
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Rick,
    Here's a selection of the little meters a bit closer to your neck o the woods๐Ÿ˜‰
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+battery+capacity+checker&...

PS If an NiMh battery gets too hot to hold your finger on it then either you've badly overcharged it (and ruined it๐Ÿค”) or it has a dead cell.
    They all get warm when charging but shouldn't get HOT ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ˜ญ
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+battery+capacity+checker&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
    ๐Ÿ”—
    Newby7
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Checking batteries
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks all this helps a lot.
    Show 6 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info