• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Lug sails and RC control
    by Hillro ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Midshipman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    7 Posts 6 Replies 1 Photo 6 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ“ Lug sails and RC control
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Pleased you have a sail plan for the Zulu. I think the foremast you have is probably too far back and you may have to step it further forward. Some also carried a jib on a long bowsprit.

Why not give up, keep your existing boat as she is and build another model of a sailing Zulu.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Hillro
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks Nerys
    i think i get your drift.
    i have the sail plans for that class of boat and am constructing a new wheel house to suit a new mizzen mast to suit.
    Will post when ready.
    this mast is off centre in the boat.
    regards
    Robert
    Nerys
    Commodore
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Sorry Robert, just looked at your picture and I notice you have a gaff mizzen which was the steadying sail on a motor Zulu. Doubt if you could fit the lug mizzen with the wheelhouse in position. What I have said about the foresail still applies. Have you studied pictures of sailing Zulus. Might help you to understand the complexities.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Nerys
    Commodore
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Robert,

The mizzen being a standing lug would behave like a sail on any normal model yacht, you would just need one control from the boom to a servo to let the sail in and out depending on whether you were tacking or running before the wind. The big dipping lug on the foremast is a different matter. If you look at a picture you will see that a lot of the sail goes forward of the mast and it has a wooden yard all along the top side of the sail, the head. When tacking, the sail and yard has to be brought round so that the whole of the sail is on the leeward side of the mast. This is a major job on the real thing and I don't think could be replicated on a model. Apart from that, the sail being loosefooted (no boom) you will just need a sheet from the clew of the sail to a servo to control it. (as with the mizzen) Mind you, there are some very clever people on this forum who may tell you otherwise. If you would be happy seeing her sailing on one tack all the time, then you won't have any problems, that really means sailing one way and coming back on the motor with sails flapping. Hope you understand my explanations, it's all rather difficult to give a simple explanation. If I can tell you anything else please ask, only too willing to help.

All the best, Nerys
    Hillro
    Midshipman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi
    The other sail, the mizzen is a standing lug which would handle quite normally.
    I am not sure what you mean, I know nothing about handling sails.
    Have looked on Internet but just come away confused.
    How is the sail handled in layman' terms
    Thanks in advance
    Robert
    Nerys
    Commodore
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    The biggest problem in my opinion is the big dipping lug on the foremast. A lot of this sail and it's heavy yard is well forward of the mast and has to be dipped around the mast when coming about. It's hard work in the real thing and I cannot see a way of doing it with RC, mind you, there are some clever people out there. The other sail, the mizzen is a standing lug which would handle quite normally. If you would be happy to just sail on one tack, then fine. In any case, she would look nice if rigged for sailing.

Cheers, Nerys.
    Hillro
    Midshipman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Has anyone got any ideas on lug sailing rigs and if its possible to control these using RC.
    I have built a Zulu class Drifter which is prop driven however this class started life as sail driven.
    Both types use the same hull design and profile.
    So my thoughts was to change above deck fittings to suit sail.
    Any help and advice welcome.
    Robert.

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info