• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    NZ scow Jane Gifford at Warkworth
    by jbkiwi πŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ ( Fleet Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    4 Posts 3 Replies 34 Photos 12 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ NZ scow Jane Gifford at Warkworth
    Flag
    Online: 38 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Nerys, If you have a look at their website (very last bit of my blurb - just copy and paste to Google), you will see what they started with- not a lot! I think they kept all the important bits and used what was intact for templates. Probably had some Pics and info from Subritzkys as well as they owned her for years. There are a lot of old photos of her still around in her original form. Most of these scows (copied from US scows but with an NZ modification of the pointed bow. Many of them originally had lee boards, but were converted later to centreboards for easier cargo loading and berthing, also made them handle better by stopping the side drift.

JB
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 25 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    What an interesting shape boat and so beautifully restored. She could be a new build and I suspect there's an awful lot of new wood in her. The rigging has been very well done, I love all those deadeyes and blocks. Interesting that she has wooden ratlines too. That rudder too was worthy of note. I'd love to see pictures of her sailing. That's a nice little steamer you've photographed too.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Newby7
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 20 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Great picture JB lovely boat the only thing that would have made the day even better is to have had a sail on her.
    Rick
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 38 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Went up to Warkworth today for a bit of a drive (40 mins away north), seeing the day was perfect after the crappy weather we've had lately. Thought I'd take a few pics of the Jane Gifford which resides there now, after a fantastic restoration a few years ago. I went to see her during the first restoration at the top of the Manukau harbour (Waiuku 1985) and still have some of the merchandise from the restoration supporters shop. She was run on the Manukau for a few years till 2000, taking passenger excursions, but ended up needing more work than the group had money for. She has been beautifully restored+++ and maintained, and still looks almost like new.

I used to see her every day in the late 60s and early 70s going up and down the Tamaki Estuary in the (Waitemata Harbour) when she belonged to the Subritzky shipping line, and was servicing most of the islands in the Hauraki Gulf, along with a barge and ex steam tug Romo. Subritzkys had a new big landing barge ( the Port Kennedy) built in the 70s powered with a 'Harbour Master' stern leg (later changed to twin Hamilton jets) which was used to carry cars, houses, entire herds of cattle, and large racing yachts and launches (they ended up with 3 landing craft and 2 vehicular ferries).

This spelt the end of the Jane Gifford and she was retired, and I believe, was bought for $1 from Subritzkys, on the condition she was restored (first restoration). You would not recognise her today as the same boat, as she always looked a wreck during the 60s and was not really cared for,- just a work boat. She only had a stub mast as a derrick for cargo back then as well.

Note how thick the planks are on the bow! an extremely solid boat. The steam launch Kapanui is also at the same jetty. 3 pics after the launch are- looking back to Warkworth from a park (JG just out of sight) the river towards the sea (about 6km to the Mahurangi harbour- 15km to the sea) and yacht masts in the distance ,- about 1/3 way to river mouth.

Last 2 pics on the way home, are from the top of the hill above Wenderhome reserve, (the big spit in the center,- (see spot on GE pic) Couldn't be a better day! GE pics show 1st and second restoration places, and location now. I took most pics of details which might be useful for modellers. This last resto was pretty much just started from the keel, and went from there, boat was pretty rotten, so really almost a new boat. New masts, deck houses,-everything made by boat builders up north. Never had most of the bits on top when working. See site here http://www.janegifford.org.nz/gallery.htm
    http://www.janegifford.org.nz/gallery.htm
    πŸ”—

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info