• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Has anyone built?
    by Ron πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ ( Commodore)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    19 Posts 18 Replies 4 Photos 14 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    Online: 22 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ron, On having a good look at the kit picture, one can just see the truck of the aftermast and gives the impression of being very slightly smaller, looking at others, including the video posted by Cash of actual models, it definitely looks as if it is slightly taller, But, hey, who cares, make it whatever length that suits you. If I was building her, I would make the after mast about two thirds of the height of the mainmast and rig her as a Bermudan ketch.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ron
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Neyrs, when I look at the photo from the kits advertisement it does appear that the mizzen is lower. Not by much though...
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Cash, Bruma is a handsome looking vessel, lovely comfortable cruising boat. The kit builds her as a schooner, albeit they don't do anything about sails, though it is obvious she has the gear to set them. However if I was building her, I would cut down the height of the after mast and rig her as a ketch. I think she would look better balanced.

Cheers, Nerys.
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Cashrc
    Captain
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Here’s the video I took late 2019. The Bruma run starts about halfway thru the video.

https://youtu.be/KykKWEwIH3A
    https://youtu.be/KykKWEwIH3A
    πŸ”—
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Griss, Not having seen a Bruma hull, I did not know what she had underwater but when I suggested that she would probably need a keel of sorts to help her sail, I was guessing that there was nothing there. Think that problem could be easily overcome with a little bit of thought and lead.

Cheers, Nerys
    Griss
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Mine has twin 380’s
    Griss
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    She does not have a keel as such.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    That's interesting Cash because a true motor sailer would not be a fast boat, the hull would be compromised to a shape that would enable reasonable performance under both sail and power. Motor sailers are often described as having 50% sailing ability and 50% motor performance, but that's a bit unfair really because they invariably make good comfortable cruisers.
    I'm sure if Ron or anyone else was to build her and rig her properly, they would not be disappointed as long as they were not expecting her to plane under power or perform like a racing yacht.
    Cheers, Nerys
    Cashrc
    Captain
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Might be right Nerys. Under power she’s leisurely at best, almost as if it’s an auxiliary motor. Granted, I’ve only seen her in the water one time, and it might be that Larry was taking it easy as she’s quite an old build...but she would look interesting under sai, that’s for sure.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Has anyone built?
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I've just had another look at the photos of 'Bruma' and it looks as if the after mast is as tall as, if not taller than the foremast in which case, she should really be designated a schooner. In this case the aftermast becomes the mainmast setting the mainsail rather than the mizzen as in ketch. The other mast remains the foremast. Looking at that hefty bowsprit and what looks like halyards coming down to the end of the topmast forestay (to end of bowsprit) and the forestay (the inner stay, to the stem), I think Mantua are intending her to sail, but not saying so.

Cheers, Nerys
    Show 9 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info