• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    replacing prop shaft
    by jimdogge πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    17 Posts 16 Replies 2 Photos 25 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jimdogge
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ replacing prop shaft
    Flag
    Online: 17 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi chaps thanks for the replies on the prop angle. I need to raise the motor by about 5mm to get the prop and motor shaft as straight as possible doing this l will have to realign the prop shaft. originally the motor shaft and prop shaft were at an angle to one another.
    Cheers Bill for the prop idea having it just close enough to the rudder post so that if it does unscrew you don,t lose it. Brilliant.
    Cheers guys stay safe regards, Jim.
    Scratchbuilder
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 18 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Jim.
    Re your prop and it’s angle!
    I agree with Martin…..motor and shaft in my experience should always be in line and as straight as possible.
    Whatever type of coupling you use the more you increase the angle in relation to motor and shaft the more you increase the friction/drag and potential noise from the coupling.It also drains the battery with the heavier load
    I attach a picture of an example that is in build by me at the moment.(Starting a blog soon)it shows the shaft and motor in as good a line as possible.
    The greater the angle of the shaft will also push the bow down at higher speeds.You can compensate with counter weight at the stern,but that will make the boat sit deeper in the water when stationary and again adds more weight.

If your rudder is too close to the prop and you are running at high speed then you risk cavitation from the prop(Air bubbles) which could affect the rudder efficiency.
    All my boats run at relatively slow speeds so not a problem for me.
    I also try the keep the rudder post close enough to the prop so that if the prop unscrews(which it shouldn’t if you use opposite tread to shaft rotation) then the post stops it falling off.

We are away at the moment on holiday and if the wife catches me on here too long I’ll be in the soup,so more when I get home.πŸ˜‚
    Hope it helps.
    Regards Bill.
    Never give up.It will come right in the end.
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Jim,
    I am no expert but if you change the angle at the prop end you will also need to change the angle of the motor.

If the prop is to be angled down then it might want to push the Bow down more when underway.

I am sure there are more knowledgable members here that could help.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    jimdogge
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi chaps, l new you would,nt let me down your suggestions for removing the prop shaft worked a treat. I cut the shaft down inside the hull as much as possible then then heated the tube on the outside of the hull. A quick twist with a pair of grips and Hey presto it was out.
    I want to throw in another question, is there a set distance between the rudder post and the prop or is it " if it looks right then it is right.
    Also l would like to change the angle of the tube downwards at the prop end by 5mm do you think that will that change the handling of the boat.
    jimdogge
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Cheers mouldbuilder best advice so far. Didnt think about cutting the shaft internally then useing a soldering iron tip internally in the shaft to heat up it up.
    cheers stay safe. jim
    MouldBuilder
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have recently removed a shaft from my 35 year old PTB. It was well fixed in with epoxy.
    I cut the internal side with my Dremel fairly close to the glue. I left the other end long to take some heat away and something to hold to twist it. I placed a 60w soldering iron tip inside the inner part of the shaft and then twisted it holding on the outside of the shaft and it soon released allowing me to remove the heat source and quickly twisting it around until all of the way out. Just twist around avoiding lateral forces which are more likely to crack the hull.
    I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
    Seaspray
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 25 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Just be careful working inside a corded dremel it has mains voltage running in it. Use a RCD, which stands for Residual Current Device.
    mturpin013
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for that most helpful and I would agree that applying some heat should affect the glues adhesion, so gentle heat and rotation should work
    jimdogge
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi chaps thanks for the suggestions. I am lucky that the hull is built up with wood so if l heat up the shaft it wont transfer or absorb the heat like a fiber glass or plastic one will.
    Still, l am not really looking forward to wrenching my chris craft about,
    elderly ladies do not like being mucked about with.
    Cheers chaps stay safe. Jim.
    PS dont mind the thread moving on as long as it informs and learns.
    Seaspray
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 25 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    One more about the switch. This video didn't download with the other two on the previous reply. Remember to remove the brushes before removing the main body. Watch when ordering spares I've order a switch and a field with two different companies. There struggling to gets the parts, that 4 weeks now. Aye but the took the money and never said Out of Stock on their site.
    Sorry about high jacking your thread jimdogge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4eL9Wm0O0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4eL9Wm0O0
    πŸ”—
    Show 7 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info