• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    model finishing.
    by jimdogge πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    4 Posts 3 Replies 0 Photos 12 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    dave976
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ model finishing.
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    With any true wet and dry sandpaper the secret is to use the water to clear the sanding from the grit. Soaking should be avoided and is not required. You start with a coarse grade and work down to finer grades. The grit in the sandpaper should be doing most of the work and using too high a pressure will result in hollows and you will have to fill and start again. I use a small container of water and dip the paper in when it becomes clogged. I like the idea of using a fine spray on the surface as this will also wash away the sanding. For final finishing some liquid soap with the final grade will produce a surface ready to prepare for the top coat. It also helps to wipe over the surface with I.P.A. Good finishes depend upon careful preparation and that takes time which will be repaid with the final result. Happy sanding.
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ model finishing.
    Flag
    Online: 43 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Whilst being a different application for wet and dry sandpaper, Alice has been having the same problems with it rubbing down and repainting bits of our camper van. Several different sources for the wet and dry, but it all falls to pieces quite quickly. Years ago it would last for ages, in fact in my 'real' boat days, I never remember having any problems and the grit would wear off before it disintegrated.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Black Shoe
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ model finishing.
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I'm not sure of the brand you're using Jim, but in my limited experience I've not soaked the sand paper. What I have done is use a small bucket or sauce pan full of water and just a drop or two of dishwashing soap mixed in. I also have a small bottle of water that I can mist the surface that I'm sanding. As the "sanding mud" builds I wipe it off with a paper towel, and rinse the sand paper in the bucket to prevent a build-up of "mud" in the paper's grit. Keeping it rinsed and the work wiped off but damp seems to work pretty well. One caution: very little pressure is required when going for a smooth finish as the paper usually cuts pretty fast when clean.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." Will Rogers.
    jimdogge
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ model finishing.
    Flag
    Online: 17 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi guys been trying to rub down the coats of clear varnish on my aqua riva. Going to have a real good moan about the quality of the wet and dry sanding sheets you can buy.
    I do soak the sheets well before l use them but after about two minutes of use they start to fray and fall apart and end up spoiling the finish.
    I have bought from several different outlets all turn out to be imported from the far east.
    Have any of you chaps had the same problem. Are there any makers of a quality product left in Britain or Europe.
    Stay safe, Jim.

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info