• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Amati Italian Runabout (Riva Aquarama)
    by DPTrainer πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Able Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    6 Posts 5 Replies 6 Photos 10 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    sailorboy61
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ Amati Italian Runabout (Riva Aquarama)
    Flag
    Online: 12 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    πŸ‘
    DPTrainer
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi, Thanks for your advice and the link to the Riva build. I must admit I only did a light sanding on the plywood parts when assembling mainly to remove the 'tags'. Everything seems very solid though - fortunately!
    sailorboy61
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 12 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    If you're on model boat mayhem too, there's a great build thread there https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3189... The finish is immaculate, I later acquired the boat myself! Builder also has another thread for a Venician water taxi which is also worth looking at.
    https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31896.0.html.
    πŸ”—
    DPTrainer
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Richard. Thank you for your prompt reply. I have painted one coat of epoxy resin (Z poxy finishing resin) over the plywood areas of the hull which would be difficult to get to once the planking is complete. The planking that will be done under the fore cabin and cockpit areas I won't be able to access the inside areas to apply any resin which is a bit worrying! As you can see from the photo with the cockpit cushions temporarily in place and these are attached on solid ply panels which is part of the early stages of the build. Anyway thanks again for your contribution and happy sailing once the pond is repaired.😊
    Richard7
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hello Duncan, l haven’t built this model but have built some Billing Boat kits such as the Boulogne Etaples fishing boat and the St Canute tug, both plank on frame construction. I am by no means a professional builder and have used the vast knowledge of many of the builders on this web page to help me out and they are a very helpful. But just for my six penny worth of knowledge l have carried out a dummy build of the motor, battery and Electronic speed controller, then remove to start planking. When all planking is complete l use two part resin glue to seal the inside planking (2 coats) then pour some resin in the bottom to seal the keel, bow and stern areas, l have been pretty liberal with the amounts. My first R/C model was the fishing boat which had lots of room. However my tug was a serious challenge as space was very limited, so a lot of work and head holding during that period, but a few weeks ago l did achieve a dry run test of the electrics which was successful all l need now is for my council to repair the leak in my local boating pond!
    Good luck hopefully the professional guys will jump in soon, nice bunch of guys!

Richard
    DPTrainer
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi,
    I'm building my first planked model boat and following the instructions carefully from the booklet. I'm making a working version of the model using the extra motorised kit that is purchased separately. I've got to the point of trial fitting the motor, rudders, servo and linkages. Even though there is no planking yet I found it extremely difficult to complete this task. I was accessing the components where the planking and decking will be fitted latter. The instructions indicate that these should be removed and fitted at the end of planking and decking. To me this seems as though it will be an impossible task. I have thought about fitting these components as soon as I have got the first layer of planking to the waterline. There are two layers of planking one in spruce which is then covered with mahogany planks. I have been told that I should use epoxy resin to waterproof the inside of the hull but I'm a bit concerned about doing this with all the motors and r/c gear in place. Has anyone of you built this kit and can you give me your advice and experience please. Any other advice about the planking and getting a superb mahogany wood finish will also be gratefully received. Thanks in advance. Cheers Duncan.

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info