• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Newbbie on reflection
    by Tomo ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Master Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    6 Posts 5 Replies 2 Photos 5 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Newbbie on reflection
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Tomo, glad to have helped. With that background I suspect you could progress to steam in time. The route you have chosen will help you progress to your ambition.
    cheers
    dave976
    Tomo
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 7 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi thanks for the replyโ€™s from Dave and Newby7 firstly Iโ€™ve found model marine steam on Amazon and will be sending for that. Appreciate Daveโ€™s comments and they are spot on I havenโ€™t divulged my working back ground I did a time served mechanical epprentiship and worked building amongst other things power presses, servo hydraulic testing machines my last job was building ships Davits although working in the fitting shop machine tools were always on hand to deal with alterations or making tooling to do a job just need to think in miniature. I think you are right Dave next project will be something with an electric motor and radio control as this is my weakness
    Regards Mick
    Newby7
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Mick Pictures of the books mentioned my last post. Both books by Stan Bray have drawing of engines to build.
    Rick
    Newby7
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Mick To answer your question yes there are plans to build a steam engine. I have a steam book that has plans and detail. Will look at my books to find out name and author . Will post later today.
    Rick
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Tomo
    Steam models hold a special fascination for modellers but they are not something that everyone can make. The tools may be available but the techniques and skills required will need to be mastered and is not something that should be contemplated by a novice. You used to be able to enlist at a night college to learn the skills and how to safely operate the machinery but sadly that seems to have ceased. If there is a local Model Engineering Society you could make enquiries and see if they offer help with getting started. Lathes are precision instruments and unless you know what to look for you could end up with a very poor example so you do need someone to help.
    As you have surmised the cost is not inconsiderable.
    There are kits available but often consist of casting which require finishing in a lathe or milling machine.
    It really heartening to hear someone is interested in steam but at your stage of modelling I believe your best way forward is to buy a kit with radio control and an electric motor to gain more experience and hopefully enjoyment. If you have a local model club that may be the best place to seek help from other modellers.
    You can always ask on this site if you need help or advice.
    Happy building
    dave976
    Tomo
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 7 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi all now having 99.9 finished my first project itโ€™s time for reflection. Iโ€™ve really enjoyed the scratch build but have probably ended up with an unusable boat without modifications witch was a case of my own inexperience. Not sure where to go next good quality steam plants are expensive and require big investment buying a lathe, Miller, and tooling requires an even bigger investment but the equipment is there to make what you want. So a question for steam buffs out there are there plans available to make a steam engine from scratch or do people use castings such Stuart models. I may build a kit next complete with radio control to learn more about that side of things. Sorry for rabbiting on a bit let you know witch way I go
    Regards Mick

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info