• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Considering a new project
    by Ron ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ( Rear Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    14 Posts 13 Replies 9 Photos 13 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Considering a new project
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I do paper mock-ups prior to cutting precious mood stock. Here is a deck at 3/4โ€=1โ€™ which is more to my liking than 1โ€=1โ€™. I just do not have storage room for larger models, plus transporting them to a sailing area. When I go I like to take several vessels.
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    You are welcome Ron. Weather has improved as has the temperature. Bright sunshine at present so I hope it remains for tomorrow - a club sailing day!
    dave976
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yes Dave I remember England in the winter. Here we are at-25C so all models and supplies are kept indoors.

Your models being double the size of most of mine which makes storing mine easier.

Thank you for sending out the measurements, it will help. Now go have a cuppa and stay warm.

Ron
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ron
    On a very damp and cold morning I ventured out to my model storage shed and took some measurements.
    Main Mast 51 1/8" from the deck Gaff 17" Rear Boom 22"
    Fore Mast 50" from the deck Gaff 14 1/2" Boom 17 1/4"
    Jib 11"" fore jib 14"
    Boom 23 1/2" this is the total length and about 6" is inside the coaming so 17 1/2" from the prow.
    From memory my boom is about 3" above the deck. Sorry without rigging the model I can't be more accurate.
    Hope this helps.
    As this is not built to any scale we all have slightly different setups but they all sail very well and if built light are very fast in any sort of blow.
    Our models have the keel sealed with lead so we use a couple of posts attached to the keel with a horizontal handle to lift and carry the model. This means we need a hatch over the handle to allow for this. It is important to get the balance correct to save your back so the hatch is positioned between the masts. The cabin is behind the main mast.
    I also have a pond Yacht 5ft so am attaching a couple of pics FYI
    Happy designing.๐Ÿ‘
    dave976
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    40โ€ of paper makes the deck come alive. Plus some of the frames. The cockpit floor is a continuation of the deck, it is not a sunken deck. I will build a coaming that should be about 3/4โ€ above the deck all around the cockpit and cabin. Then the cabin will fit snugly over it along. The seating and deck of the cockpit will fit snug over coaming too.
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ron
    The plan relates to sail measurements, so the masts are longer. Using the sail measurements the difference is 2". The main mast is marked at 52 5/8 and I believe that is from deck level - our masts reach to the hull bottom so will be longer again. I don't have lights in my storage shed so cannot measure but will do so tomorrow and let you have the measurements for both plus the boom lengths.

Your rudder arm system should work, I use ball joints or angle the Servo using a closed loop. As long as it works reliably and fits into your model It sounds like a novel idea. Looking forward to seeing when you have set up.

Cheers
    dave976
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Rudder connection idea. What do you think? If I put these gears below deck where the control arm is located too. I am trying to avoid an angled connection to the rudder post. Thus the gears.
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    According to this sketch the two masts are only 1" difference in height, correct?
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ron
    There is no rake on our schooners masts but we can use the stays to set the two masts. There is a stay from the bowsprit to the fore mast and another stay from the fore to mainmast.
    My friend Harry Knapper has been building yachts for many years and produced a sketch showing the sail dimensions for our 55" schooners. Ignore the pencil marks as this was for another model.
    I have a pdf copy of Model Boat Building 1930 which has a wealth of info on yachts. which may help. I will send you a copy via private message.
    Hope this helps you progress your model
    Cheers
    dave976
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Dave, what is the average rake of the masts? I must also determine the height?
    Show 4 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info