• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    motor fitment
    by MartynB ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Leading Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    15 Posts 14 Replies 13 Photos 16 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Derek 151
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Must agree with ChrisF about the red Huco couplings. I had one break up some time ago and it damaged not only itself but the interior of the boat. I now stick with the metal to rubber ones. Mobile Marine Models used to do a set of turned fittings of various sizes to cover different variations of motor shaft/prop shaft so that you can hold the motor in a solid alignment - they may still do them. I have had my set for quite some time and have machined up various others from aluminium rod (eBay) on my lathe as needed.
    Derek.
    ChrisF
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Martyn

As others have said it is very important to have the motor and prop shaft in line. Not just because of noise and vibration but because the motor can get very hot.

In a model of that size and weight I'd be wary of using those red Huco couplings as they can break. Raboesch do a better quality one (Cornwall Model Boats etc.) but in larger models I've standardised on the alloy ones with the rubber block in the middle and you can get the solid couplings to aid alignment as you can mount the motor and then fit the base snugly under it. They are longer but that might be a benefit as it will move the motor forward to clear the step, make it easier to get a base in and all four screws.

If you do use a Huco coupling you can tape splints around it to provide a temporary solid coupling.

Chris
    Building 6 Faireys at a scale of 1:12 and another in the pipeline!
    MartynB
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thank you for your reply. I have some tools but have ordered a Dremel type micro tool to help with this refurb.
    I did read about having to solder the capacitors and your link makes this nice and clear, thanks.
    I'm sure there will be more questions!!
    Martyn
    MartynB
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks
    DuncanP
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Martyn,
    I've sent my photos of the coupling and the layout in the various compartments onto the Vosper 47ft article by mistake. Since sending this reply I've noticed I made a mistake saying the servo was in the rear compartment when in fact it is in the second to rear compartment along with the plastic container for the receiver. I originally built this in my early twenties (now 71!) and like many other people it just got stored away until the lockdown when I decided to refurb it for something to do! Repaint, new motor and new radio gear plus more accessories which I got from SLEC. These were such things as window frames, tow hook, mast, fire monitors, air vents, decals and crane. The front wheel house windows of the current model that they produce are a slightly different shape but I traced mine and they very kindly produced a matching set of front windows. They are extremely helpful to deal with. Worth a visit to their website:-

https://www.slecuk.com/vintage-model-boats/boat-kits/crash-t...
    The crash tender fittings are at the bottom of this webpage. Good luck. Cheers Duncan
    P.S. I'll also post part of this reply on Vosper for other people who might be considering a refurb of this boat.๐Ÿ˜Š
    https://www.slecuk.com/vintage-model-boats/boat-kits/crash-tender-345
    ๐Ÿ”—
    dave976
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    Online: 11 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi MartynB
    As others have advised the motor and propshaft need to be in completed alignment. You will need to remove enough of the baseplate to allow your motor and mount to align correctly and then provide a new wooden sloping base. Take your time and work slowly so you don't make yourself more work.
    You say you are new to modelling but may have some woodworking skills and tools which will help with the task.
    The three small capacitors glued to the motor need to be soldered to the motor terminals. Details are available on this site at
    https://model-boats.com/wiki/38741

Good luck with the renovation and please keep asking questions as you progress.
    dave 976
    wiki/38741
    ๐Ÿ”—
    MartynB
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thank you for your help. A photo would be great whenever you get a chance to post one.
    Martyn
    MartynB
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks, yes it is that model. Someone has suggested shaving some wood away from below the motor to bring it more in line.
    Martyn
    MartynB
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks, thats very helpful, I did wonder if that would be an option.
    Martyn
    MartynB
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ motor fitment
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Many Thanks that's very helpful.
    Martyn
    Show 5 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info