This is Miki Kwok’s reply to my inquiry about his model. I have included the drawing he sent with the photos attached to my previous reply.
Dear Mr, Pete. J. Glor
Thank you for your e-mail regarding our project Hong Kong Star Ferry, in fact we are down load the official drawing from Wang Tak Engineering & Shipbuilding co, ltd of star ferry with A4 size. This Star Ferry is scratch build.
1. We start working out to 1/48 scale, this is base on the passenger on board the ferry, we like the model with more real.
2. We use the foam to cut to ship sharp and sand down according to the plan, mean time take out some foam for motor and battery ballast weight, upon complete, we have to add 5 lbs of lead to keep the ship at water line.
3. Upper and lower deck construct with Styrene sheet, also the passenger branch made by Styrene stick, we use a piece of
wood to made a jack for standard size of each difference area as per the ship's plan.
4. Life bouy all round the ferry and the navigation lights we use the Billing boat parts.
5. Interior lighting we use the model train station light for upper and lower deck.
6. Propulsion we use brushless motor and ESC one set in each end, since we do not need reverse,
7. Original ferry require 4 blade propeller, but we only can found 3 blade with this size, therefore we use 3 blade instead
8. Both end with rudder, one servo each end, and both rudder we made with brass sheet to cut as per plan.
I hope the above may answer your questions, in the next few days, I try to take some picture and forward to you, which may help to understand what we did.
Furthermore the ARK model Hong Kong Yamati ferry model I have one on hand, which require a lot of work to finish, in fact what you buy from ARK only a ferry hull and the mod of upper structure fiberglass piece, and a plan with propeller and shaft.
In case you need more information, please feel free e-mail me, I am delightful to send you information with my capacity.