• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Brass or plastic
    by garyp ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Able Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    5 Posts 4 Replies 1 Photo 9 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    LewZ
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Brass or plastic
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    The brass props are "pretty" if that is your concern, OK. I build scale boats so scale look is important. Brass props are expensive so I 3D print my own using ABS, the last one having five blades (modern style). Very cheap and they last!
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats)
    garyp
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Brass or plastic
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thank You. The packaging says M4-35S, Dont know what that means. But once cleared up would be happy to purchase the right one from you.
    Gary Pressman
    GregHiltz
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Brass or plastic
    Flag
    Online: 18 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I agree, a Brass 3-Blade or even 4-Blade Prop will look much more scale-like on your boat.
    Your photo does not show your existing prop, whether it is a racing type high-pitch or not.
    A nice 3-Blade scale prop will not rob you of power.
    Your only problem will be determining the shaft diameter- 1/8", 3mm 4mm, or 5mm(3/16")
    I'm sure you can source props in your area, if not- i have many.
    roycv
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ Brass or plastic
    Flag
    Online: 20 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi that is a good question! I use plastic props to find out how the boat performs, I mean in a realistic fashion not how fast. Plastic props are relatively cheap and a good way to work out what you want from the model and then if brass is your choice a similar brass one can be obtained.

The standard 2 blade plastic props are designed with a certain ratio of prop diameter to pitch. I think the coarse pitch ones are 1.7 : 1 and the less so 1.3 : 1, don't quote me!

You will find that Prop shop and also Deans supply brass props and you should get an equivalent without any problem.

Depending on what type of boat you have fast boats have small fast turning ones and the more sedate liners and cargo boats have bigger but slower turning ones. The slow turning props are a little more efficient but this is not very noticeable in models. I have a couple of slow boats and you can watch the large prop turn and propel the ship as well.

My criteria for models is can I stop it quickly as you will find you are surrounded by idiot drivers! Radio assisted collisions happen more often than they should and operators of boats can be distracted by watchers, many of whom will try and stand between the model and yourself!

So be prepared, the more experienced modeller will await your return to the bank before telling you what a wonderful creation you are driving.

Good luck, survival is the watchword.
    Roy
    garyp
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Brass or plastic
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello. I really want to change the propellor on my new boat.It is two bladed plastic and I think It will look better with a brass or bronze prop. Now I am a newbie and confess to preferring three bladed to two. Now the thing that concerns me is the price as dumping a prop is not good.Also will the 3 blade reduce power. And lastly the prop that is on now is a screw in to the shaft type.. Can anyone comment please as I am new to all this and learning.
    Thank You.๐Ÿšค
    Gary Pressman

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info