As I found it was not really feasible in re-working the kit's (Robbe/Krick) superstructure to clear up the plastic windows, I decided to create a new topic based on replicating the superstructure based on photos of the real fire boat. (Of course this can be applied to other models as well.)
First off, the window transparency was not the only problem. A number of items are incorrect or distorted, missing, etc. Too much to list here.
The overall length of the superstructure is 1-1/4 inch too short. Worse than that there is a step in the forward bottom of the superstructure to compensate for the difference in the height of the forward deck and main deck. That is off by 1/2 inch (too short). No wonder if you compare the model to the real boat photos the model sits too high in the water, kind of toy like. This later part upsets me because I already added strong sheer strakes around the hull. Can't fake this one!
Now that I have the .062 thick styrene I am starting on the structure. I found a pretty good side photo with sufficient quality of the Dusseldorf FLB 2. I already printed it out full size to make measurements from. Next will be to draw (CAD) it to make a template and build the sides. Because of compound curves, I extracted the kit's roof which I will modify and install on the new structure.
My main worry is that the manufacturer messed up on the hull. Visually it looks OK and I have a lot into it. Just need to lower the main deck that 1/2 inch.
No likes yet
This member will receive 1 point
for every like received