• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    LED Tug Mast Navigation Lights
    by PittsfieldPete πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Petty Officer 1st Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    198 Posts 197 Replies 102 Photos 142 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ LED Tug Mast Navigation Lights
    Flag
    Online: 15 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi, Doug:

As β€œluck” would have it I managed to fall down several of our basement stairs last Fall (no pun intended, I promise. But I really hope it’s the β€œlast fall” I ever take). I had a good hold of the railing & I don’t have any idea why I fell. Luckily it was only about six steps; it could have been much worse.

As it is, though, I dislocated my right shoulder & tore the right biceps tendon loose from the bone. The dislocation was fixed with physical therapy but surgery via scope was needed to install two titanium anchors in the front of the shoulder bone. The tendon tatters were trimmed, then it was sutured to the anchors.

Seeing that I can tie my shoes by myself again now I’m trying to get back to work on my tug. I’m still severely klutzy but I’m getting better every day & my fine motor skills are coming back OK.

When the doctor told me I needed surgery I said I wanted a second opinion. He said: β€œOK, you’re ugly, too”. Then I asked him if I’d be able to play the violin when I’m all better. He said I shouldn’t have any problem playing at all. That’s great news for me seeing as I can’t play one now. Seriously, I do miss not being able to play my guitars.

Well, that’s all I can write for now. I hope you’re doing really well & having great success with all of your projects.

Take good care.

Pete
    β€œWork & play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions”. Mark Twain American Humorist & Author 1835 - 1910
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 25 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Pete, how's things?
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Pete, welcome back😊
    Glad your eyeballs have cleared up πŸ‘
    Just ordered new goggles yesterday, should be here end of the month, then I can fiddle with 1mm LEDs again - maybeπŸ˜‰

No, I didn't put a plug and socket at the base of the mast.
    I hard wired it into connections in the wheelhouse roof. Then took all the wires down through the funnels until they poked out the bottom of the main cabin. That's it for now. The mast is not glued in, it's a tight push fit so can still be folded down a bit.
    Later I'll make the little distribution board and put the plug and socket there so I can still remove the whole superstructure for maintenance.

No again, I haven't done any more on the Southampton yet.
    Been busy fiddling with my fish cutter Gina 2, hull preparation and preliminary coat of white paint, and cleaning up Colin's vintage Taycol field coil motor. See Electrical Blogs 'Taycol Supermarine'.

Cheers, Doug 😎
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for the information. Following Doug’s lead I came up with an idea for a scale fluorescent light fixture to install on the pilot house ceiling. I have odds & ends in my spare parts boxes that I can use to make the fixture, complete with a reflector & transparent pebble-surface scale diffuser. Even though the fixture won’t be visible I still want to achieve nice, even light in the pilot house with minimal shadows.

The fixture design is still on the mental drawing board at this point but I’m reasonably sure it’ll work in the tug’s pilot house. if it doesn’t, however, I’ll definitely look into your suggestion.

Thanks for reading my post & for your helpful advice, too.

Pete
    β€œWork & play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions”. Mark Twain American Humorist & Author 1835 - 1910
    Haverlock
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 5 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    if your still thinking about the cabin light you may like to think about using a surface mounted LED

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Surface-Mounted-LEDs-10-Pack-Choo...

Just to give you an idea
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Surface-Mounted-LEDs-10-Pack-Choose-from-available-colours-UK-Free-P-P/263020022470?hash=item3d3d370ac6:m:mhKaps2dYMjCRQilJ3q6aeA
    πŸ”—
    "that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature." Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hello, Doug!

I’m happy to report that my eyes are finally healed & I’m ready to get cracking on my tug’s LED lighting improvement project. Needless to say it’s so fantastic to be able to see again. The infection was so bad that I had to move around the house for weeks with at least one hand on the wall or I was in danger of falling or walking into the china cabinet. I lost what’s called β€œstereo vision” & had no depth perception. it was a nightmare to say the least, especially considering that the source of the infection remains unknown. But I just had a checkup at the ophthalmologistβ€˜s office & I was given the happy news that all traces of the infection are completely gone. Hallelujah!πŸ™πŸΌπŸ‘πŸ‘

BTW, did you complete your tug’s mast LED lighting project? I recall that you had finished up the mast itself & had its LEDs working. Were you able to reinstall the mast in the pilot house roof & get everything back together without any problems? At one point you had mentioned possibly making a plug & socket arrangement for the mast so that it could be removed for safer transport to the lake. Were you able to follow through with that plan or was it just is easy to simply re-install the mast? finished for your dog? if so, how did it come out?

I hope all is well with you & that your many projects are all turning out successfully.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You beat me to it Colin πŸ‘ I found those as well and zoomed 'em.
    Looks like a form of Hi-Drag Stockless to me. ZY-6 perhaps?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=anchor&client=firefox-b&tbm=...
    Cheers, Doug
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Stockless_anchor
    https://www.google.com/search?q=anchor&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CfFk5f5z1stxIjh3v-f6XBUqtMaFvPunPF0WW6eEMlRwTx83aAQ7-VRjFuEVajCB3ZW6INeHJMT0AQMnnyxfIaPT6ioSCXe_15_1pcFSq0EWfp-oVF7ohoKhIJxoW8-6c8XRYR8UdrSsA2N-4qEglbp4QyVHBPHxEHwwlFx7f4JyoSCTdoBDv5VGMWEdeKfFdC8UvEKhIJ4RVqMIHdlboR4kyhSnadMgwqEgkg14ckxPQBAxH9KvO1-FzePioSCSefLF8ho9PqEco2s6mj51j2&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjA35yticfdAhVOKuwKHZ5uBG0Q9C96BAgBEBg&biw=1920&bih=955&dpr=1#imgrc=QnBVjglX2_7EVM:
    πŸ”—
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Stockless_anchor
    πŸ”—
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks.
    Colin H
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Or this.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Colin H
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Try this pic it may help.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Show 188 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info