• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Darby One Design hydro...
    by Westquay πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Commander)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    23 Posts 22 Replies 10 Photos 9 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ Darby One Design hydro...
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    It certainly could, Dave. I tend to think a residual wake from his own craft is as good a cause as any as you say he didn't refuel as he was keen to get his second, return, run in for the record, which he would definitely have achieved as he had already gone much quicker on the first. it's reckoned he was doing around 340mph when the accident happened. A great loss.

Colin, not sure why your thread is on this one, but in a helicopter the only engine you would find, would be a glow engine, not a diesel. So I think we're still looking into an easy way to make our own model diesel fuel. The only reason our little engines are called diesel is because, like a big diesel in a car or lorry, ours are compression ignition. A glow engine is merely a 2 stroke with the glow plug taking the place of the sparks system on a petrol powered engine. And of course, as if to prove that is the proliferation of 4 stroke glow (and now petrol) engines. Or gas engines as the Americans call them. And they have shot into use because petrol is comparatively cheap and there are small electronic ignition systems of great reliability now available.

Martin
    boaty
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 5 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Martin, I am amazed at your knowledge and skills.
    I like your reference to the possibility that wake from the Dowty was the possible cause of Donald Campbell's crash. I had heard before about wake being a factor as he turned around after his first run without refuelling. This led to the theory that it could have been his own wake as the cause . So many theories about the crash and all are valid as it could have been a combination of many.

Boaty😊
    Dave Keech
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 6 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Col as this has really put a bee in my bonnet. Talking of which ---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4dy8MwLXBA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4dy8MwLXBA
    πŸ”—
    Fly Powered Airplane Takes Flight
    ▢️
    Colin H
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    As I have never seen one up close I don't know. They only fly inside the camp, but some of the pilots fish in my local lake which is behind the camp, and we chat about models in general and they will sometimes offer help in getting my boat down to the water. They offer advice on my radio systems as the old vintage stuff I have can cause interference. So they advised me to use 2.4ghz here. Next time I meet with one of them I will ask about the engine details.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Well Col tell us about these choppers. What engines are they using. Ignition type etc . Because if you can reproduce this fuel you could make a fortune flogging it.πŸ˜πŸ‘ No names no pack drill we don't need to know that just the blend of the fuel.πŸ€” This secret has been sought after for years.😀
    Colin H
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    It only came my way by an interested fellow modeller who can't be named or location given away. Hush hush job and all that.
    Cheers Colin.
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Westie You got that right but find me a chemist you can get it from now.πŸ€”πŸ‘
    Colin H
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    No just regular diesel with a few drops of methanol, as its a diesel engine it's compression ignition and the methanol is just an additive to clean up the combustion, it's basically a sports mixture used by the fly boys for their helicopters.
    Cheers Colin.
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I al;ways had to go to the chemist and buy ether and amyl nitrate for my Uncle to mix his own diesel. No methanol.

Martin
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Well Colin I'm amazed Because even alcohol fuels need an ignition source .Usually in model engines a Glow plug sometimes a spark plug.Is there anything else in the mix? BTW see my modified post above. We are all fascinated to know how it was done.πŸ‘
    Show 13 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info