• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    EeZeBilt RAF Crash Tender trial video
    by DodgyGeezer πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Midshipman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    7 Posts 6 Replies 4 Photos 13 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Colin H
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ EeZeBilt RAF Crash Tender trial video
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    After reading your post with great I terest, I had to have a search round my attic and sure enough, among my toys from the fifties I located my still boxed but well used plastic battery powered fire boat. It was an Xmas 1954 present.
    I'll try again tomorrow to post a photo, can't upload pics at moment????.
    Thanks for the memories Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 26 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Apparently only 46 Red,
    "On 25 July 1956, while Andrea Doria was approaching the coast of Nantucket, Massachusetts, bound for New York City, the eastbound MS Stockholm of the Swedish American Line collided with it in one of history's most infamous maritime disasters. Struck in the side, the top-heavy Andrea Doria immediately started to list severely to starboard, which left half of its lifeboats unusable. The consequent shortage of lifeboats could have resulted in significant loss of life, but the efficiency of the ship's technical design allowed it to stay afloat for over 11 hours after the ramming.[1] The good behavior of the crew, improvements in communications, and the rapid response of other ships averted a disaster similar in scale to that of Titanic in 1912. While 1,660 passengers and crew were rescued and survived, 46 people died with the ship as a consequence of the collision.[2] The evacuated luxury liner capsized and sank the following morning. This accident remains the worst maritime disaster to occur in United States waters since the sinking of the SS Eastland in 1915."
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Andrea_Doria
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Andrea_Doria
    πŸ”—
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    redpmg
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Were there not a lot more lives lost in the collision between the Andrea Doria and the Stockholm than on the Titanic? Last time I saw any mention of that was many years ago and its a very distant memory .
    DodgyGeezer
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    ".......Is it a fact that only two of the originals were ever built ? And yet they have such fascination for so many modellers........"

And I don't think they had much of a career anyway, becoming supernumerary when the RAF dropped flying boats. They were on the books for about 6 years between 52/3-58, and in storage for a lot of that time.

They had, however, particularly attractive lines and featured in much of Vosper's advertising. The VIP plastics toy company brought out a ready-to-run model in 1954 which was a star of the toyshops, and I suspect that Les Rowell produced his kit during this surge of publicity. Ever since then it's been an iconic vessel for British model builders. It has lots of associations - the military, fast launches, firefighting...

Disasters are always compared with what has gone before, and civilian shipwrecks before the Titanic usually cost less than 200 lives (though there were a few ships killing over 1000, like the SS Sultana). But they didn't have the cream of Western society on board.... I do remember seeing mentions of the Wilhelm Gustloff on British TV, when the film came out. Mentioned far less is the British equivalent, the RMS/HMT Lancastria, which sunk with between 4000-5000 lives lost in similar evacuation circumstances..

And there is always the Mont-Blanc, which blew up in the port of Halifax. A good quiz question, this: the ship was a total loss, but all its crew were safe - its sinking resulted in 2000-odd deaths, but they were all on land....
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 26 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Red,
    You are thinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff.
    Sunk by the Russian submarine S-13 while evacuating civilians and wounded soldiers from in front of the Russian advance on East Prussia.
    https://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=504
    This is certainly not forgotten here (Germany) and often features in TV documentaries.
    Titanic is probably so remembered because of all the hype around her and the fact that it was the first time radio was significant in the rescue of survivors.
    It also led to the first drafting of the obligatory SOLAS regulations including constant manning of radio stations on board - Safety Of Life At Sea. Now incorporated into the GMDSS regulations for carriage of safety equipment on board (including radio requirements) - Global Maritime Distress and Safety System.
    Whereas the Gustloff 'incident' was 'just' one more ghastly event in a ghastly war.
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    https://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=504
    πŸ”—
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    redpmg
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Is it a fact that only two of the originals were ever built ? And yet they have such fascination for so many modellers.

A bit like the Titanic which in ship disasters/loss of life does not rank very highly. I will probably stand corrected but think that that dubious honour went to a German passenger ship in the Baltic towards the end of WW2. Memory is hazy but seem to recall it was over 5,000 souls that were lost including a lot of women & children. Yet one never hears of that disaster whilst the Titanic is always metaphorically surfacing. A fascination that seems to be shared by many people outside the modelling world as well.

We live close to Danger Point where the Birkenhead struck. and the famous Birkenhead drill of women & children first originated. A friend now owns Sir Robert Stanford's house where most of the survivors were taken after the wreck. The Danger Point Lighthouse itself contains details of the event and detailed plans of the Birkenhead. The rock where she struck is clearly visible from the top of the lighthouse some 1500 metres offshore. (Up till seeing the plans believed she was a Sail ship ,not a Steam/Sail ship.)

Amazing that events so long ago are remembered so well and much newer disasters forgotten so soon and boats so few in number become icons.
    DodgyGeezer
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Given all the discussion, I thought I would put a video up of the Mk2 EeZeBilt Crash Tender on its first test. Very choppy water for a small boat at that end of the lake, but it coped. Perhaps a bit bow-heavy?

Poor quality phone pics, but you can see a bit of detail when the boat comes close. You can also just see a fire monitor operating at the end when the boat comes back in....
    Raf2
    ▢️

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info