• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Ace Nautical Commander
    by redpmg πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    10 Posts 9 Replies 1 Photo 8 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Ace Nautical Commander
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    ".....don't want to stick a finger up and say 'Here I am, come and sink me!'
    That was DΓΆnitz's big mistake in the Battle of the Atlantic! "

It is hard to make general statements about the technology in the Battle of the Atlantic, since to a large part it was a technological battle, and the balance between the relative capabilities of different technologies altered - sometimes on a monthly basis or less!

RDF was well understood by the Axis powers, and they were required to keep their messages short to avoid a fix. For a mechanically rotated aerial, which the Germans used, getting a fix required a fair bit of time, and getting an accurate fix could take a minute or more. Shore stations then had to transmit the information to interested parties, and so a U-Boat was fairly safe if it sent occasional short messages and kept moving.

I believe that the Royal Navy responded with the Huff-Duff dual loop antenna which you will find on
    most RN ships of the period, feeding into a CRT PPI indicator. This could give immediate accurate directions, sufficient for an attack to be mounted directly down the bearing. Though, of course, this could also be used to tempt a corvette off station to enable another boat to attack. It had originally been developed to track lightning strikes...

LΓΌtjens, of course, sent a famous long message enabling precise identification of the Bismark, but the British then made a plotting error and sent their Task Force in the wrong direction for a while....
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Of course the alternative these days to meet that guy's 'Parallel parking' requirement is to use the TX mixing facilities or a hardware mixer. Such as the Action Electronics P94 from Component shop. (Out of stock at the moment ☹️)
    https://www.componentshop.co.uk/p94-dual-esc-and-mixer-2-x-2...
    I have bought one of these to try in my 1/72 H class destroyer to improve 'cornering.
    Will report results when I have bench room for the destroyer!
    Cheers, Doug
    https://www.componentshop.co.uk/p94-dual-esc-and-mixer-2-x-20-amps.html
    πŸ”—
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Looks like not - though that site has a lot of useful other 'how-tos'. See link.

I wouldn't convert a Tx by carving the existing sticks away anyway - I would make a new unit with plugs to go into the existing radio. I just found that site on a web search, and put it out to show that this was what some people were doing...
    http://wmunderway.mysite.com/cont/cont.htm
    πŸ”—
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "27Mhz / 40Mhz systems are sought after by submariners..."
    You betcha DG πŸ‘
    The higher the frequency the less it penetrates water. At 2.4Gigs it just bounces off.
    Doesn't like getting it's feet wet 😁 I still use my old Graupner MC-10 40Meg set for my U25.
    Never actually needed a twin-stick on one mount but I seem to remember there is (or was?) also a mod kit for the MC range available.

Real subs use VLF KHz frequencies around 8-10 for underwater COMMS reception (TX antenna on land km's long!), or they send up an antenna buoy to use higher bands. Receive only of course, don't want to stick a finger up and say 'Here I am, come and sink me!'
    That was DΓΆnitz's big mistake in the Battle of the Atlantic!
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    PS Good linkπŸ‘ Krick is one of my favourite suppliers here.
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    redpmg
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Dodgy - thanks for that - might just sell the Ace on Ebay - buy a cheap 2.4 and convert that. Was the article continued or not ? Noticed the make of the converted transmitter is not given .
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    This article might be helpful...
    http://wmunderway.mysite.com/cont/twinstick/twinstick.html
    πŸ”—
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Twin stick systems are much sought after by scale boat enthusiasts - and command a high price everywhere.

27Mhz / 40Mhz systems are sought after by submariners...

I have not needed a twin-stick, but I have thought that if I ever did I would simply make one. Much cheaper! The pots don't need complicated self-centering, they just need mounting sideways and having a stick joined to each, with perhaps a friction pad. You can buy commercial dual sticks of course - at a high price - but I suspect that anyone with a lathe could make ones equally as good.

And then you could have a cheap 2.4Ghz Tx with a unique fitting...
    https://www.krickshop.de/Electronics-Motors/R-C-Sets-and-accessories/RC-Sets/Accessories/Futaba-F-14-FC-16-Twin-Boat-Stick.htm?shop=krick_e&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=roF1564&p=347
    πŸ”—
    redpmg
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The real benefit of this radio is the twin sticks - dont find those too often. Only one I know of is the very expensive German F14 transmitter .

No market for this here - be different in UK

Only one fellow in SA repairs radios that I know of , so will try and contact him if no joy via the forum. Electronics engineer friend who could have handled conversion now living in the land of Oz! If I tried there would be big fat smoke signals.............
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    It might be a shame to alter the innards of such a radio - vintage radios like this make a lot of money if sold in original condition. See https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2980389-ACE-N... Perhaps $200?

To convert it to 2.4Ghz you would have to obtain a 2.4Ghz transmitter module. If you can do that, you can probably obtain a full 2.4Ghz combo and use that radio if interference is the primary issue.

To convert you need to obtain a radio module, and then find the position in your transmitter where the signal is passed to the RF section. You then connect Vcc, GND and Signal to the new 2.4Ghz module. Some radios have a separate RF board, making this part easy, but if not you will need some way to find the bit to connect....
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2980389-ACE-Nautical-Commander-7-ch-NIB-AND-FOR-SALE-AGAIN
    πŸ”—
    redpmg
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    have an old Ace "Nautical Commander" 5 channel on 27mhz. Crystal change a real pain as you have to open up the set and use pliers to change. Still works and its a great radio with dual sticks for twin motor operation. Been reading about the conversions to 2.4ghz - wondered if it would be possible on this radio - suffers from a lot of interference here. Don't know if it's FM or AM , would not know how to check. Can anyone help ?

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info