• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Sailing, model or the real thing.
    by Nerys πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    8 Posts 7 Replies 0 Photos 6 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    juskiddin
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Sailing, model or the real thing.
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Very light gopro copy from Aldi. Slowed it only a little.
    Nerys
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 4 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Juskiddin for a very informative reply, a lot of very sensible advice. The idea of standing facing the way the boat is going is an excellent idea. Loved the video. Particularly liked the idea of the mainsheet going below via a pillar, keeps a potential water ingress source well clear. Nice boats too!
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Martin555
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi,
    I know absolutely nothing about sailing, but I did enjoy the video thank you.
    Having the weight of the camera fitted on you boat did it not give you a disadvantage.

Martin.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    juskiddin
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    It took me a while to get use to steering but eventually it becomes second nature. I started by turning to face the way the boat was going an look back over my shoulder. I sail DF 65 And Aussie J. I made a video from the boats perspective and realised I don't steer very straight. I oversteer and am constantly correcting.
    Aussie J RC sailing at Greenhills Beach near Cronulla NSW Australia
    ▢️
    redpmg
    Flag
    Online: 19 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Agreed its very different - you almost have to imagine you are in the boat - hard to describe - especially when running back and everything is reversed . Big thing is that you don't get feedback and instead have to watch the sails and water riffle closely for clues. It all becomes second nature in time. Which seems to be happening from your description.
    When running powerboats for the first time the same sort of thing occurs. Friends trying my out my model boats get confused - even the ones who have great responses and are good drivers
    Nerys
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have no problem with the general handling of the boat, she handles perfectly well, comes about or gybes when required, I just have the feeling that handling a model is a completely different art from a real boat and not as easy, particularly if you have been sailing for seventy odd years Not having a tiller or a wheel in your hands makes a lot of difference. I have recently purchased a Dragon Force 65, have no problems sailing her, she just disappears down the lake somewhat quickly!. I launched my newly built model Thames Sailing Barge last week, not only does she sail beautifully, but, somehow I feel more at home or perhaps I'm learning..
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    redpmg
    Flag
    Online: 19 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Sounds like your yacht might not be set up properly . Sailed a friend of mines with ease - then bought a cheapish RTR boat. Had enormous problems going about etc. Spoke to my friend and was informed that both his despite being very expensive ARTR's needed a lot of modification to run successfully. Mods included moving the mast back about 10mm . increasing rudder movement /size and increasing keel weight.

My RTR needed extra keel weight , mast moving back nearly an inch and the rudder throw increased. Now its a pleasure and no longer gets locked in stays whilst gybing which was its favourite trick prior to the mods.

Perhaps a local MY sailing club might provide some help
    Nerys
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I started building model boats not much over a year ago, my first 'sailer' being 'Bella', an Aeronaut kit. Now I have been sailing 'real' boats since childhood, everything from Mirror dinghies through racing keelboats, cruising yachts to Thames Barges.
    I launched my 'Bella', transmitter in hand and did I have a shock, so much more difficult to handle than a real boat. What do I do? I was pretty well lost as to how to control her. Much easier with a hand on the tiller and the mainsheet in the other. A completely new art to be learnt. and I think I am only just becoming relatively competent.
    I met somebody lakeside last week, another long term real boat sailer and he said exactly the same thing. I'd be most interested to hear what other people think about this.

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info