• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    3d printing
    by redpmg πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ ( Lieutenant Commander)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    8 Posts 7 Replies 3 Photos 17 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ 3d printing
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The best thing about owning a laser is the idiotic comments you hear - like "Oh those - you just press a button and it just does it for you " - "its so easy with one of those" and queries like "why cant you you just cut this for me - Ive shown you the picture".
    None of them understand the basic hard work that goes into design & drawing of items. One of the problems here in SA is that many laser owners cant do the basics and draw their own bits & pieces , but rely on bought patterns available to all.
    I drew up patterns for a post WW2 Willys Jeep and a Series One SWB Land-Rover. They each took the better part of a month to do and required at least 3 prototypes before getting the design right. (They both have detailed chassis, suspension, including shocks, control pedals & levers, lifting lugs etc.) A slightly more simple model of a Suzuki 410 Jeep took about 3 weeks to produce - (Gansbaai calls itself the "Suzuki Capital of the World" as everyone and his dog seems to own one.........)
    Since then have produced on and off road trailers , and a Tiger Moth to my own design also time consuming and many prototypes.
    We purchased patterns for a Land-Rover Defender, Vintage Motor Cycle, Pitts Special and a simple helicopter. All of those required extensive reworking before use - showing that a lot of patterns sold have never been tested by producing a sample.............
    We now make a point of charging R 150 in advance for a redraw to suit the Laser (about 10gbp ) plus cutting time per minute/material cost - unless its for a multiple item order - and depending on value........... That puts an end to a lot of queries as its "too expensive" but are we supposed spend two hours and costly laser time which earns us less than minimum wage ?
    We do some freebies for friends from time to time - but not complex stuff which we would have to charge a discounted price for.........
    I have produced boat kits/nameplates etc at no charge for a few fellow modellers - most of whom supplied the material..........
    We are hoping to purchase a 3d printer this year - but it, material and the drawing software required are expensive here. We would try to keep our charges reasonable as it will be used for business purposes - and I suppose the inevitable few freebies to friends..........
    unknowndna
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ 3d printing
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You have to be careful not to mention you have a 3d printer. Before you know it all the club members say, hey you've got a 3d printer haven't you? Can you just design and print me this one part? Before you know it that's all you're doing 🀣
    Newby7
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ 3d printing
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    One of the members of the club I belong to has been building a boat using laser cutting the wood frames and then 3d printing of parts everything seemed to turn out well he says .
    Rick
    Joburg-sailor
    Master Seaman
    πŸ“ 3d printing
    Flag
    Online: 23 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi redmpg. Sent u an PM with his contact details.
    MasterModeller
    Recruit
    πŸ“ 3d printing
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have been using PLA for creating details for a RC Colony Class cruiser. Using Fusion 360 (3D Cad) to design parts then printing with Flashforge 3D printer. Works great and parts are lightweight.
    Joburg-sailor
    Master Seaman
    πŸ“ 3d printing
    Flag
    Online: 23 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Redmpg, I have obtained 3d printed bits to my specs from a club member in Pretoria. I will find his address and adv. Standby.
    Regards
    unknowndna
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ 3d printing
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I've done an Rg65 hull in PLA+ that uses the Dragonforce 65 keel, rudder, mast and sails. Still in the process of rigging it. Tried a football size in PLA but it wasn't strong enough. I made the walls way too thin. It was like a coke bottle. I've also printed little figures for one of the guys at our club. IF you can get hold of the files for things you want to make it's a lot cheaper than buying them. A new DF65 hull is about Β£60 whereas my printed one used about Β£10 of filament.
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ 3d printing
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Know that a few other members also use CNC cutters of various types - but is anyone into 3d printing yet ? been wanting to put waterjets in a Tamiya PBR for many years - but all commercial types are far too large for the scale. I like small scale models so the idea is greatly appealing. Tried several times with plastic tubing but was never too successful.
    Have noticed on other sites there are members making waterjet drives on 3d printers and wondered if any of our members have tried it yet. Simon at Prop Shop makes some very nice small scale props which would suit very well - especially the Kort nozzle types which have the tips squared off. Not sure if he makes those in the very small scale - sure he would accept the challenge to do so.

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info