• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    From Canada to Cornwall
    by Ron πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    9 Posts 8 Replies 0 Photos 11 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    KenThompson
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ From Canada to Cornwall
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Ron, welcome to the UK, and Cornwall.
    There are a few clubs you could visit on your trip here.
    If you put in, model boat clubs In Cornwall, on your internet, you should get a few clubs showing, with this information you can plan your trip around Cornwall.
    Hope you and your wife have a great trip, enjoy.
    Cheers
    Ken
    May the wind always be always where you want it .
    Ron
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    We have a Garmin GPS with current UK maps loaded in it. Also discovered there are Hop on Hop off buses in the Penzance area, which I am so glad my wife is favourable about using.
    I remember driving some twisting curvy roads through the woods with a 50 mph speed limit. My wife gets motion sickness on roads like that, so here I am doing about 35! The locals were too happy with me 😑☹️ I can just image narrow winding roads in walled and hedge rows, plus sheep herds just around the blind corner! Yikes... Take the bus 😍
    redpmg
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ron - when driving the hire car in UK simply remember the driver sits in the middle of the road .(Since its a right hand drive.) (Piece of advice given by a friend who lives in France.) Certainly worked in Europe when driving a hire car (left hand drive as in the US/Canada)
    If your hire car does not have a built in GPS - make sure you get one of those as well as the auto box (ab a very good idea) - very easy to drive around in circles on the narrow back roads in Cornwall. Good map is also useful for planning your next day itinerary - too much nuisance whilst driving.

Be sure to visit Looe and take a boat trip to Polperro - the trip alone is worth it - well worth a visit but the walk down to Polperro from the car park is killing if you go by car. Lots of good B&B's near Looe - interesting town - lots of boats in the harbour plus ship chandlers & other shops will be worth a visit. There used to be a MB club in nearby Liskeard - sure they would welcome you if they are still going. perhaps someone on this site knows ?
    Rookysailor
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Agree with you Ron, an auto box would be better as
    most of UK gear changes are extended H, but the other way round from yours ie:
    From neutral centre..
    1st gear - up and over to left
    2nd gear - straight down from 1st
    3rd gear - up and over to right
    4th gear - straight down
    5th gear - up and over again to right
    Reverse gear is different on many cars, my Peugeot
    is push gear knob down whilst in neutral then pull down, my Citroen is Automatic,No Problems! hope this helps.😊

Cheers, Pete
    MouldBuilder
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Ron.
    I live 20 miles from Exeter. There is a reasonable boat museum there.
    The SS Great Britain, a four mast ship, Nerys will know more, resides in Bristol, 80 miles away. HMS Victory is in Portsmouth Harbour, 120 miles away. There is lots to see. Cornwall is a perfect place to visit. Beautiful coastal villages.
    In 1980 to 1982 I lived in Ontario. Beautiful country also.
    Peter.
    I promise I will finish a boat project before I start another......Maybe.
    Nerys
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    If you are looking to see boats, then Cornwall is a good choice. You'll find everything from sailing dinghies to larger yachts and working fishing boats. However, I would suggest you visit the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth where there is a large collection of small boats from around the world as well as many British sailing dinghies and a Thames pleasure boat, the Waterlily. There is also a hall devoted to boat building. Make sure you go to the 18thcentury Georgian harbour of Charleston where you will find several traditional working sailing craft and smaller tall ships.

If you are visiting London, then St. Katherines dock is a must. You will find several Thames Sailing Barges moored there as well as a plethora of yachts.

Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ron
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I try to rent an automatic transmission vehicle, just one thing less to think about when driving. I have never tried shifting gears with my left hand, I suppose the gear shift is the same as here. H with 1, down 2, over and up or forward 3 and back or down 4 with Neutral in the middle.Ah, but then there is those overdrive gears, 5&6...πŸ₯΄
    Rookysailor
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Just for information Ron, yes, we drive on the left, but the steering wheel is on the right, the accelerator, clutch and brake are the same as yours, but the handbrake is nearly always on the left hand side, dead easy to adapt, I do it everytime I go to Europe on holidays.πŸ€—
    btw, we sail our boats on the left too!
    Cheers, Pete
    Ron
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    My wife and I are making plans to see areas of Cornwall in a few months. Falmouth, the Lizard Point, Penzance, Land’s End and so forth, plus a few days in London and Bath, possibly Exeter too.

Are there any boat builder and clubs to greet along our travels? Going by train, and rent a car in several places to see the sights. Yes I know you drive on the other side of the road and the driver sits differently too.πŸ€ͺ

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info