• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Brushed Motors
    by redpmg πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ ( Lieutenant Commander)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    5 Posts 4 Replies 2 Photos 11 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Brushed Motors
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Found a few turntable/tape deck motors - run happily on 9v - amazing torque as they have about 12 poles on average. Probably be quite good for paddlers as they run relatively slowly. 11" Lindberg "Diesel Tug" runs very well on a early PC printer motor - its a 7 pole running on 5 AA Ni-Cads - way over powered using the original prop reinforced with a bit of paper dishcloth on the blades....... limited by hull speed but can push or pull boats 10 times it size......... and it runs for over an hour.......
    New printers only yield stepper motors - useless without a controller - have a box full of various sizes.............Open to suggestions on controllers......... Pity as there are so many scrap printers around - as its almost cheaper to buy a new printer than new cartridges here...........(not all can be refilled or have generics)
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Brushed Motors
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Strange Mike!?
    I always thought the rule was-
    "If it moves - salute it.
    If it doesn't move - PAINT IT WHITE!!" πŸ˜‰
    That DOES NOT mean that if any of you 'orrible lot find your Fleet Admiral standing still, or just sitting enjoying the viewβ›΅πŸš€, that you can paint him white!!! 😠⚑⚑
    (Spray please not brushing - I'm ticklish πŸ˜‚πŸ€£)

On the other handπŸ˜‰ I have a collection of motors salvaged from old video recorders and CD drives (brushless!) etc. But not a clue yet what I can do with 'em cos they are mostly odd formats and voltagesπŸ™„
    Happy brushing folks,
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    mturpin013
    Commander
    πŸ“ Brushed Motors
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Old household equipment is a good supply of free motors, anything that moves and has been discarded for some reason is always dismantled for bits.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Brushed Motors
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Red,
    Good ideaπŸ‘
    My hair driers are still holding up, but I'm off to the workshop to strip some old electric shavers to see if the motors are usable in my smaller Plastic Magic projects😁
    BTW: I also have a vintage Hitec 10A ESC which is still going strong.
    For a while I used it to power 2 x 540s in my destroyer. Went well, no glitches for several years. Was last used with a Decaperm in my Sea Scout "Jessica", very sedate performanceπŸ€”, before her recent renovation and upgrade to brushless.
    The destroyer was refitted with an ESC using a huge T03 type 2N3771 output transistor and relay reversing! Pic show's her sad state after 20 years of neglect while being gutted for hull repairs and repainting.
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Brushed Motors
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Needed a matched pair of 385 motors for a project - no motors of any size available here at all...... after some thought remembered obtaining some from discarded hair dryers - so went looking.

Local household type shop had some cheap travel hair dryers on special - so even cheaper - took a chance and bought two - sure enough - two nice brand new 385 types for much less than the price of a 400 I saw locally some years ago.........Fully suppressed too...

Suppose the more expensive ones might yield better quality motors - but judging by how long most of them last it seems doubtful and the ones so far recovered all seem the same . All of the dryers taken apart so far use a step down from 220v AC to 9 or 12v DC.

The motors from used ones are usually fine in my experience - only one failure from 9 or so - its usually the heating coils or switches that fail....... (remember to re-lubricate the bearings as they tend to dry out) - so a cheap source of a good motor.

Suppose you could buy the better half a new one to claim the old - but then she might want an expensive model...........bad enough when her old one dies.........

An old Hitec 10amp ESC glitches slightly on a heavy draw 400 type but handles these two 385's easily - so another job done - now for the others..........

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info