• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    A Little Advice on Motor Whine
    by neilmc πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Warrant Officer)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    44 Posts 43 Replies 19 Photos 103 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ianh
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ A Little Advice on Motor Whine
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    By the way, Mobile Marine make an excellent alignment tool that can fit a whole lot of shafts and motors.
    See link
    I have one but lent it to a 'friend' still waiting😠😠
    Regards
    Ian
    https://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/alignment-tool-71-c.asp
    πŸ”—
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    RHBaker
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Neil,
    The other factor is that is, if it whines it must be running! Sometimes an achievement with brushless motors.
    neilmc
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I've followed several suggestions Rowen and all have proved the whine remains no matter what. I thought it was an issue as the brushed motor I had before did the same sort of thing. It did however prove to be a badly misaligned installation from previous owner. So I've chased a problem based on rhis fact to one that wasn't really there however removing the old mount it has shown anorher misalignment. So good in one sense just need solve it now with the new mount 😊
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water πŸ€”
    neilmc
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Slow and steady ... 15 years is definitely slow Martin πŸ˜€
    Although working through lockdown it has focused the mind on how distracting life was beforehand.
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water πŸ€”
    RHBaker
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations, but it means I am not the only one who has learnt the hard way about the importance of correct alignment.
    Once you have got it right though, think you may still experience a whine. Brushless motors are inherently noisier that brushed.
    The consolation is they are much faster so the noise will be out of earshot quickly!
    Rowen
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Neil,
    With a bit of tinkering and a little time you will sort that mount out.
    Slow and steady bit at a time.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    neilmc
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Martin
    I think its a combination of my inexperience when I reinstalled the shaft as the glue had perished on the previous one. This now makes things all a little bit tight as I think the shaft is too far in the boat if you know what I mean see photo. Also the brushless motor xmount is a bit to small for the motor mount front plate see photo. I do like the idea of the mount and I'm thinking of trying to remake the front part of the mount. Well I would if I could find the countersink screws for the x mount πŸ˜‚
    Ian the whole alignment and installation of the motor has been a nightmare not only for me but everyone else on this site .... now you as well πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Ianh
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yup
    Alignment is always tricky I normally make a dummy out of Aluminium turned and drilled on the lathe got about 6 now.
    As an R/C Aircraft builder, SLEC is always top class and helpful too.
    Screws always get lost (Normally the small ones!)
    Tip with epoxies I find useful is to make sure when mixed colour is even also check what it can glue as they are now sometimes specific (AS I have found out) Another thing is temperature. Genuine Araldite is bloody good stuff.
    Good Luck
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Neil,
    Is it possible to reduce the height by sanding and filing, or even cutting if necessary ?

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    neilmc
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Well motor mount from SLEC turned Friday not bad for a tenner and delivered in 3 days. As it looks better then the 'wing it mount I put together and the issues its causing I decided to change it.
    Wasn't looking forward to it as I couldn't remember how much glue I had used to stick the supports to hull. Didn't matter as I obviously can't mix araldite as the supports just popped off. I was then left with what looked like toffee which easily came off.
    When using the SLEC mount as designed it proved to be too high and didn't align at all with the shaft. Also couldn't find the countersink screws for the x mount so thought I'd adapt it a little.....winging it again.
    It did however show what could have caused some of the problems as when using the alignment coupling it shows the shaft to be installed at an angle as per photo. So I'm going to give it a go using the motor mount I used before but fix it this time with nyloc's so hopefully providing a more sound solution.
    I shall use a bit of servo tape as Ian suggests to isolate it a little.
    Fingers crossed this time.🀞
    Show 34 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info