• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    FIRE PROOF LiPo CHARGING BOX
    by jbkiwi ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ ( Vice Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    11 Posts 10 Replies 11 Photos 24 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ FIRE PROOF LiPo CHARGING BOX
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Excellent video Jb,

That is enough to put a lot of people off using Lipo batteries.

Having said that if proper care is taken you will not have the disastrous consequences that you have seen in the video.

Even more reason to use the words " Stay Safe"

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    jbkiwi
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 41 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    A good vid on using ammo boxes and Lipo sacks. They are mainly using large batteries for these tests and the one with the ammo box with lid ajar (assuming it's a demo of what can happen with a tin full of stored batteries as I mentioned previously ) is easily a house gone situation!

JB
    How to store LiPo battery safely - In depth LiPo fire tests
    โ–ถ๏ธ
    MouldBuilder
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Really great information guys. Thanks. I am going to deal with the seals now on the one I have here right now. The other two will be done the minute I get to go back to Hungary.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    First one done.๐Ÿ˜ด
    I promise I will finish a boat project before I start another......Maybe.
    RHBaker
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks JB. Actually cut a chunk out of the seal to let the leads through.
    The remainder of the seal keeps the lid from rattling
    R
    jbkiwi
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re - Hopefully you will never have to use it in anger although better safe than sorry.

Correct Martin, as I mentioned, I've never trusted LiPo sacks as I have never seen a 100% successful suppression example. Fine for outside but not for inside (my opinion) unless you are doing it in your fireplace๐Ÿ˜. I always balance charge my batteries at 1.5A ,-takes ages but they never move in temperature. There is also a temp sensor you can use on many chargers, and with mine, if I'm charging a bigger battery, I set it low to 30deg C and it will cut the charger off immediately and start beeping if it ever gets to that. I don't think many people bother to use this feature, even if the charger is capable, but it's a good extra pre-emptive safety measure. It can actually stop a potential problem.

You really don't want a battery going off in your house no matter how it's contained, as the smoke would make your house almost unlivable for months. I've let lots of them burn in the back yard (giving them a good 'forking') and boy do they smell bad and put out some serious smoke! (even a small 2s)
    JB
    jbkiwi
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re I use an old steel ammunition box. Just trimmed the rubber lid seal

Hi Rowan -Re the tool box vid below, It's a good idea to remove the seal to stop pressurisation, as the guy says, รฟou don't want to build a pipe bomb!๐Ÿ˜ฎ That's why I bored a hole in mine (has no seal but just to be sure)
    JB
    jbkiwi
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi MB, I actually have an ammo box (ex my fathers from his Air Force days in the 40s) but I'm using it for tools at the moment, hence the new box ($15) We were having a discussion about steel boxes at an RC plane club, and a guy said, "I keep all my LiPos in an ammo box for safety". He opened it up and inside was a literal Bomb of LiPos all stacked in there. 6s, 5s, 4s ,-the whole range and full to the top. Everyone said (almost as one) "what if one goes off in there"!!! Holy cr-p!!

Your Idea's a much better one but I think more than one is still risky as the bags obviously aren't foolproof. It would be interesting to test that out with some old lipos to see if nearby LiPos were affected at all. You do need adequate vent holes with a flame suppressor or else you are risking blowing the box up if it's clamped shut. Here's a vid of a tool box test with sand bags, -worked pretty well!. Unfortunately there's no getting away from the smoke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0kzuEpyNyQ

Also one with an ammo tin which also worked well ( I saw a test on another vid, and the guy said to leave the seal out of the box for venting (the guy in this vid mentions they have done this also)
    JB
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0kzuEpyNyQ
    ๐Ÿ”—
    LiPo container tests: Ammo can
    โ–ถ๏ธ
    MouldBuilder
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I think that any precautions are a good idea. I have several LiPo batteries and also keep them at storage charge in a few ammunition boxes. Good quality solid boxes can be bought for around ยฃ10 on ebay. I keep each battery in a fire proof bag and then in the box. Belt and braces.๐Ÿ˜Š
    I promise I will finish a boat project before I start another......Maybe.
    RHBaker
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I use an old steel ammunition box. Just trimmed the rubber lid seal so could get the leads in and then clamp the it down with the lock.
    These boxes are quite inexpensive and very robust.
    Seems to work OK, but have never experienced any LI-PO malfunction in the several years have used them
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I like it Jb,

Hopefully you will never have to use it in anger although better safe than sorry.

I would imagine the guys that are new to this hobby are beginning to wonder what they have let themselves in for after seeing this LOL!!

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    Show 1 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info