• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Woodbridge class 123
    by jacko πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Midshipman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    18 Posts 17 Replies 8 Photos 28 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ Woodbridge class 123
    Flag
    Online: 60 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    They do sail well and you do have some good helmsmen there.
    What a nice lake too.

Cheers Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    jacko
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    some time ago i talked about the 123 class we sail and was asked to post a few photos so today we raced the class please see https://youtu.be/XiwZRWVhW_o to see them race also a few pictures of some
    https://youtu.be/XiwZRWVhW_o
    πŸ”—
    ▢️
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Joe,

Yes , there are several MicroMagics sailing on our lake and they go very well, in fact we were planning on running regular racing for them this year as well as Dragonflite65s but of course that hasn't taken place, - yet!. Alice and I have a Dragonflite 65 each and are well pleased with them. Your model Soling sounds interesting, the full sized versions were nice boats. One of our members has a footy Thames Barge but I've never actually seen her in the water.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Joe727
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys,
    I can tell by your posts that you are quite knowledgable about sailboat design. You are right about a 2' being able to sail well. I built a 1/2 meter boat that was based on a Soling design and it worked really well!

It was back in I think 2005 or so that we were playing with the footy design. It had some rules as a footy class was being discussed so I it was probably some of the restrictions that made it difficult, not just the length, I just don't recall that well.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but the MicroMagic boats became a hit with some of the club members and they sailed well.
    Joe😎
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I've only ever seen a couple of footys in action and they did seem to be floundering around on our lake, so really know nothing about them, but as long as they are all performing similarly, one can have fun or is it frustration, What you say about them just not sailing doesn't surprise me but I do think by the time you get up to two foot in length, a boat must sail reasonably well, There are for instance several RTR boats of around that size and they all seem to work pretty well.

Cheers, Nerys
    Joe727
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys,
    What we found in designing footys was they sometimes would not sail, meaning they did not even move forward or hardly at all.
    Joe
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I've never built or sailed a 'footy' and it obviously wouldn't sail as well as a larger boat, but does it matter. If the boat is one foot or two feet long and you are competing against others of the same size, performance doesn't really count, it's the fun of racing against other similar boats with similar ability.

I must say, I like the look of Woodbridge 1 2 3 class and imagine they sail well for their size.

Cheers, Nerys
    Joe727
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Jacko,
    If you can get a 24 inch boat to sail well you are doing a good job. I try to stick with 36 inches or more for my sailing yachts as the shorter they are the more difficult to get them right.

The "footy" craze of a number of years ago did not go as well as hoped. It very difficult to get a 12" boat to actually sail well. I worked on numerous designs with some of the best old timers around and it was frustrating for all of us.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your sea trials! πŸ‘
    Joe
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Good looking boat, I imagine she will sail well. Pics of her sailing please.

Nerys
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nice work Jacko.
    Looks good.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    Show 8 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info