• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Restoring an almost 100 year old ship model
    by Yngvegr πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄ ( Able Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    5 Posts 4 Replies 8 Photos 22 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Restoring an almost 100 year old ship model
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I'll second that NerysπŸ‘
    😎
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    Nerys
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 41 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    That's a very interesting story about a really historic ship and one that is well worthy of restoration. It is good to see that some governments are prepared to support projects of this nature. It's just as inspiring to see the excellent job of restoration of the model of her that is going on and what a superb model she is, definitely museum quality. I do hope we can see photos of both projects when they are complete.

cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    brianupyonder
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 1 month ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    you will need a van for that its very nice
    brian
    brian
    Newby7
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 7 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you for the post and pictures a good story of both restorations.
    Rick
    Yngvegr
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    This is not me, but in my neighbourhood, and the story was run in the newspaper I work in, so I wanted to share. The ship model being restored is almost 100 years old, which is very special in this part of the world. The germans' schorched earth tactic was carried out here in 1944 after three years of soviet bombing, so it is a miracle the ship survived. There were very few houses left. Everything older than 1940 is rare around here...
    Some facts about the original boat:
    DS Β«HestmandenΒ» is a steam-powered cargo ship, built by Laxevaag Maskin og jernskibsbyggeri, and handed over to Vesteraalen's steamship company in 1911.
    The boat is 195.6 feet long and 30 feet wide. It was first used in general cargo traffic, but was leased to England and went into British service during the First World War, including convoys to Arkhangelsk.
    From 1924 until the outbreak of war in 1940, the ship sailed on the coastal freight route between Oslo and Kirkenes, with the occasional trip to Petsamo. During the war, the ship was under Nortraship's control and went, among other missions, in convoys in British waters.
    In June 1945, the "Hestmanden" was the first Norwegian ship to go from Oslo to Finnmark with supplies for the reconstruction (scorched earth, mentioned above).
    After the war, the ship ran on the coastal freight route until 1955, when it was bought by HΓΈvding ship dismantling, which had it in operation until 1964.
    In 1979, the vessel was bought and rescued from dismantling by the Norwegian Veteran Ship Club.
    In 1995, the norwegian government allocated 5 million NOK for the restoration of the vessel, provided that the ship was to be a sailing war memorial to the war sailors.
    DS "Hestmanden" is now located in Kristiansand and is scheduled to sail to Kirkenes (my home town) in the summer of 2021.
    In the photos, the father of TorbjΓΈrn, the man to the left, built the ship model. It originally had a wind-up motor! Freddy (right) is now restoring the model. It is in original colours, but the restored original ship is in military grey.
    https://www.vestagdermuseet.no/hestmanden/
    πŸ”—

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info