• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Glue for metal and wood.
    by tim morland πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Master Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    21 Posts 20 Replies 7 Photos 34 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    tim morland
    Master Seaman
    πŸ“ Glue for metal and wood.
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Jonathan,
    I'm not too bothered about dings and scrapes showing as long as the tape doesn't peel off. If you look at pictures of the real St. Denys you'll see it is pretty well dinged up. I have found a supplier of aluminium ducting tape which has good reviews.
    This has been a long term project so I can afford to try both tape and litho plate and leave them out in the winter⚑ weather for a few months to see which is best. Also I can try out some of the adhesives mentioned. The boat is powered by steam and really is a family heirloom item that I want to repair to the best of my ability so that my grandchildrem can sail it for years to come.
    Thanks to all who have contributed. Any extra contributions welcome.
    Best wishes to all Tim
    ToraDog
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Tim,
    I just learned this technique this year as well! Here are a few photos of someone else's build ( HMS Cardiff) that shows the tape applied before paint. Only the proud plates need be applied. The 3M brand of tape has a very good adhesive. This can be the week point so use care in what you select. Also, the tape is often available with varying thichnesses of adhesive. While this will cause the tape to stand more proudly, it also means that the tape will likely show dents and dings more readily. If I remember correctly, the tape I used is of around .015' thickness, a little thin for 1/48, but it is the effect I was after.
    Cheers
    tim morland
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Good morning Jonathan.
    That plating certainly looks impressive. Up until now I've always used strips of cardboard. Why didn't I ever think of metal tape? In the words of my hero, Homer Simpson, "Duh". I was worried about tape or plates lifting but I can see no evidence of that in your photos. A nice job.
    I've found a recent picture of the tugboat that bears a resemblance to mine, here's the address if you're interested
    https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/98/89/ae/...
    It shows the plating quite clearly. It's in and out riveted.
    Best wishes Tim
    https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/98/89/ae/filename-port-museum.jpg
    πŸ”—
    ToraDog
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Tim,
    Here are some photos of my project with the tape in place. With overlapping strakes, I applied the tape every other strake. The over lap can obviously be varied as you like.
    Jonathan
    tim morland
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Toradog.
    I don't think it's a model of any particular tug. The nearest thing to it is the tug St Denys which was moored in Falmouth many years ago, now in Brittany somewhere. It was given to me by my brother in law who sailed it as a boy pre WWII. It had been partially destroyed having been underwater for a long time. It is a long term project which I have been doing off and on for many years. It's one of those projects you do when you get fed up doing other things. The chances of anyone having sailed on the original , if there was one, are very remote.
    Best wishes to all
    Tim
    Ianh
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Given it's age rivets would normally be used and I think overlappped
    Cheers Ian
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    ToraDog
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Tim, It sounds like you could go either way, butt joints or over lapping. I overlapped a few joints on my build and was surprised how well it came out with the aluminum tape. You might consider doing an experiment and see which approach looks and works best for you. In the end, it is you boat and unless someone shows up with a photo and says you were wrong....well then your version would look right to me.
    Jonathan
    tim morland
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you to everyone who has made a suggestion. I think the best thing would be for me to try aluminium tape and also the lithoplate glued on with marine adhesive/sealant/ thingy stuff and see which one gives the best finish scale-wise. I like the idea of putting a covering over the top to stop the plates lifting. All I need now is a plan of some plating and deciding whether it's going to be overlapping or butt jointed. The original boat would have been built around 1920-1930. Any suggestions?🀞
    Best wishes Tim
    BOATSHED
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    This is another really good sealant. It is paintable and is used in fullsize boat building. I have used it in my own boat that I have moored up in Potter Heigham Norfolk. :- Sikaflex 291i Marine Adhesive & Sealant 300ml
    BOATSHED
    ToraDog
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Tim,
    If the scale is large enough, over coating the tape would not hurt, but, sanding the overcoat to keep the sharp edges of "plating" showing might be a chore. This tape is quite rugged, but it is soft, making it easy to burnish. if it does get dented I would imagine some gentle burnishing would solve the issue.
    The gent I learned this from has been running his models for a good number of years with no issues at all.
    Show 11 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info