• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    A Norfolk Keel
    by jacko πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    11 Posts 10 Replies 10 Photos 26 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jacko
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    my build so far Norfolk Keel
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    Online: 14 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes Ron, the Keel does look by far the simpler rig but you would find there is no comparison in sailing performance. Roughly speaking, the keel can only blow down wind or manage a broad reach. There would be little or no performance to windward. This is why their voyages on the Broads took so long, they had to wait for a fair wind or quant or tow up against the wind Also, look at the lines of a Thames Barge, built for sailing whereas the keel was built to carry a biggish tonnage on a short, broad hull. Still a keel would make a nice model and one we rarely see.
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ron
    Captain
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    https://youtu.be/sO2ndndE4jQ

http://keelsandsloops.org.uk/comrade-society-history-1980s/

After several years of writing, typing, correcting and re-typing May saw the publication of Fred Schofield’s book β€˜Humber Keels and Keelmen’. This detailed and definitive work, describes the ships, the men and women who worked them, the waterways on which they sailed and the many cargoes they carried. Published by Terence Dalton Ltd the book has 300 pages, illustrated with almost 200 photographs with maps and drawings by Edward Paget-Tomlinson and Cedric Lodge.

BBC TV series β€œ The Past Afloat” has anyone seen it? A book was published by bbc under the same title. Written by Anthony Burton

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/64d39e3c06ea4d81bdfea888a31bea3c

In September, 1983, it was time to watch the BBC TV series β€œA Voyage Between Two Seas” presented by Pete Morgan, particularly the final episode β€œAlong the Ouse and Humber to the Sea” with its magnificent sequences of COMRADE under sail from Goole to Hull.

Looks much simpler to rig than your barge Neyrs, and for transport too. Got me thinking πŸ€”
    https://youtu.be/sO2ndndE4jQ
    πŸ”—
    http://keelsandsloops.org.uk/comrade-society-history-1980s/
    πŸ”—
    https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/64d39e3c06ea4d81bdfea888a31bea3c
    πŸ”—
    ▢️
    Colin H
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys, you are right about the main features of the keels, it seems that most Humber keels ran two sails one above the other.
    And yes it's a sad end when we loose the last one of any type of boat.
    Looking at Keels in general the basics look a lot like the viking ships apart from the fancy stem and sterns.
    I'm just helping my grandson build a Revell plastic kit of a viking ship for a history project he is doing.
    I'm glad I'm only assisting as my arthritis wouldn't allow me to do such delicate work.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Colin, that is bad news. I must admit I hadn't seem anything about the Trust for a while and did wonder if it was still in existence
    . I hate to hear of any possible preservation or even some attempt of taking off of the lines before it's too late ,
    going wrong and folding. It's sad when any traditional craft is left to rot away, and I can think of several Thames Barges in that situation, that were far to good to see going, but I'm afraid, it needs a lot of money nowadays.
    I think, the only hope then is to go to the Humber Keel people, they have at least the Comrade and the Amy Howson in preservation and I'm pretty sure there was very little difference between those and the Norfolk Keel.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Colin H
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Good morning Nerys, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the norfolk keel preservation Trust folded in 2017 and the remains were left to rot away.
    Cheers Colin.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The remains of a Norfolk Keel were found in 1984 in the River Yare, She was about 55ft in length and dated from the 18th century. She is in a steel cradle and is being cared for by , 'The Norfolk Keel Trust, The Cabinet, High Street, Coltishall, Norfolk NR12 7AA. The intention is to take off her lines and restore. I'm not sure how up to date that information is, but it might help.
    There are quite a few references to Keels in 'Black Sailed Traders' , worth a look.
    Don't forget the Humber Keel is almost certainly very much the same as a Norfolk Keel, and you have one in preservation, the 'Comrade' lives in Hull Marina and the Amy Howson is at South Ferriby. Look up the 'Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society' I expect they have plans or drawings which would help you.

Cheers, Nerys
    jacko
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    thanks for the info much help
    Colin H
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Here are some more pictures that may help, the stacked sail one is a humber keel from just slightly further north.
    Cheers Colin.
    Newby7
    Commodore
    πŸ“ A Norfolk Keel
    Flag
    Online: 3 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Looks interesting good luck with the search.
    Rick
    Show 1 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info