• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Shark speed controllers
    by mistyoptic πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Warrant Officer)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    20 Posts 19 Replies 2 Photos 30 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Shark speed controllers
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Graham, (and Geoff sorry) that F/S usually applies only after you have set all the parameters, mainly an aeroplane thing to stop you amputating your fingers (or unintended take-offs)πŸ˜€ Not such a danger in boats. A number of this type will also chop the throttle if you loose signal. Most seem to use an Atmega chip and have similar setting menus. I have around 30 of this type (varying Amps) for planes, and they are all pretty much the same. No problem using the ESCs BECs when setting so far.

You usually have to start setting these types of ESCs with throttle at full, then back to center (for forward and rev) or bottom for fwd only, (if they are a F/R type) then unplug power, then TX on, full throttle, power on then set choices (beep numbers) in the first menu by throttle back quickly to center or bottom (whatever was initially set), back to top after confirm beep, next menu section opens and you repeat for each item you want to change.

Both menus keep cycling when you are in them, so if you miss what you want, it will come round again, ( helps to have an enlarged copy of the instructions handy and follow it as you go). when you have everything you want set and confirmed, unplug the power. Now when you want to start normally, put the stick to the center (or bottom if initially set there) turn on TX, plug in power and you should be good to go.

I look at these menus like a tree,- sort of trunk, branches and leaves, - 1 -up the trunk, 2-out on the branch, 3 - into the leaves and away. Everyone sees things a different way, so you have to find a thought process that clicks with you.

They are simple but time consuming, a program card is a lot quicker😁

JB
    mistyoptic
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Graham, have tried this to no avail, have sent the following diagnosis to the retailer today.

Diagnostic Steps taken today 30th January 2021

Power setup -Flysky receiver, with shark esc and Thumper motor.
    6 Nimh cells reading 7.67V

1. Another motor AXI 282010 connected to esc. Servos run ok motor does not beep.
    2. Thumper motor runs with another controller.
    3. Another controller and motor respond to Tx.
    4. A servo works in the motor channel (3)
    5. The esc in the battery socket powers the other servos.
    6. The ESC in Channel 3 powers other servos.
    7. The esc in Channel 3 does not respond to Tx command nor emit beeps.
    8. Throttle channel revers switch makes no difference.
    9. Output from BEC reads 4.99V
    10. A separate battery pack in battery channel does not let the ESC start programming.
    11. Tried different receiver.
    I have duplicate setups, that is Shark ESC to Thumper motor, neither shows any response other than those above.
    Geoff.
    Geoff L.
    Graham93
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Geoff,

Reading through the instructions, to get into programming mode, it suggests you set the transmitter throttle to maximum, and then connect power to the ESC. The problem may be occurring because you are using the BEC in the ESC to power the receiver. I think you may need both the Tx and the Rx powered, before you apply power to the ESC to get it into program mode. That means you will need to power the Rx from a separate source. Once it is programmed and working, you should be able to revert to using the BEC

Graham93
    mistyoptic
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Graham, Thank you for your various replies and the pdf of instructions, will print them off and work through them, but what really is the problem is that I cannot get past the first described step, because it does not respond as expected from the instructions. I have bought two identical set ups, motor and controller, for a new project and neither responds, have tried two receivers with no result. Will continue to consider the problem and try different settings, meanwhile await reply from retailer.
    Geoff.
    Geoff L.
    mistyoptic
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Colin, It does have battery selection, and is set to Lipo by default and I am using Nimh, but I can't get into the programming function, because the first step does not occur. Thanks for your nice comments on my last build, but I do have another kit waiting in the wings, an HAKIts Pilot Launch
    Geoff.
    Geoff L.
    Ianh
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Graham 93,
    I think you might have unlocked the problem with instructions. I had a problem with my Hobbywing 1060 Brushed Controller. It took a couple of goes but then worked fine! Most SC's even for marine use have a failsafe built in, the problem being getting it to learn
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    Graham93
    Captain
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Here’s some instructions.

Graham93
    https://files.banggood.com/2016/09/FVT-BOAT%20ESC(English).pdf
    πŸ”—
    Graham93
    Captain
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Just found this using Google:

β€œincludes a high-throttle safety function that prevents the ESC from arming the motor if the throttle stick is not fully closed”

Looks like you need the Tx throttle set to minimum before powering up the Rx and speed controller.

Graham93
    RHBaker
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I used three in my Brave Borderer and all work fine. They replaced the original Hobbyking, which did not.
    The first required programming as it was set Fwd only. Did that by the "beeps" technique, which is much harder than it seems!
    Think there is a now programming card available, but have not used it.
    The next two came set for Fwds & Rev., so did not have a reason for programming. Left them well alone!
    Got mine through BANGOOD a while ago and there might be instructions on the web.
    Your wiring looks correct and, as the BEC circuit is working, that feature looks OK.
    Forgotten how to get into the programming mode, but that might be your next step.
    Colin H
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Just a thought, does it have jumpers or switches for battery type selection.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Show 10 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info