• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Guardsman
    by Fred πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Warrant Officer)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    7 Posts 6 Replies 6 Photos 15 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ianh
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Guardsman
    Flag
    Online: 18 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    All of Vic Smeed's designs were good.
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    Fred
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Guardsman
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi John

I know just were you are coming from, in my stock to build I have six hulls that now includes the Guardsman, some of the hulls go back to the 90's when I was on contract work to a security company.

I have two other hulls that I got to do a rebuild on, one was a basket case, I striped it back to just the hull then rebuilt her up to the deck housing using the parts that had been cut out and marked deck housing, to only see that it looked as if she had broken her back that was when I put her to the back of the garage I go back to her now and again, the second just needs a full repaint, remake and refit the deck furniture and all the rigging redone, I will get around to that at some time?

As for deviating from the plan I do it when I think it looks wrong, as I work on the idea if it looks right then it is right.

I am now more into Tug's as I got fed up with the grey funnel line, at lest with a tug you can paint them any colour you like.

Fred
    That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
    Scamp
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ Guardsman
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    We can only do as recommend by the people who are supposed to know the best way of coming out of this pandemic.
    Keep safe.
    JOHN
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Guardsman
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thinking out loud and talking to oneself as one often does - I can count on one hand - of model ships which I started to build and put to one side to finish at a later date. Some of them I have totally scrapped. A model I began of HMS Warspite and I scrapped it completely due - and me wife has just reminded me she was going to put plants in HMS Warspite hull (1:96 scale fairly large) and I scrapped it before it was planted up πŸ˜‰

The 2nd hull which was of a tug and I wasnt happy with that - I put it in boiling water to soften the glue and managed to salvage the planking that I could.

Then model of a cargo ship - MV Duburg - I completed the hull but wasnt happy with the deck level - the deck was twisted (it took after me) hahahahah anyway, that sat in the loft for over a year and a half until one day I replanked it, levelled it off etc.

The latest one to date where I have stopped half way through was a 1:48 scale model of a Castle Class HMS Leeds Castle (2nd World War one) (vintage) this one I diagonally planked the hull and for some reason I wasnt happy with the hull and I have just left it on the building board.

The last one - was the Guardsman hull. it was originally planked in balsa wood - and I knocked it into the vice on me bench and it punched a big hole in the side of it. I stripped all the balsa wood planking off and replanked it in obechi. The other thing I did differently to the plan on the Guardsman was that I didnt like the way the door was on the front of the bridge, so, I moved the doors to the side - therefore deviating from Vic Smeed's plan.

The latest creation of mine is the Ireland Class hull which up to now I have managed to finish planking, got most of the internals in and busy putting the deck on . Here are a couple of pics for yaz.
    Fred
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Guardsman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you Tony29h,
    I will have to run the build along side the lady "T" build.
    As they say
    I was put onto this earth to do so many project's, I am so far behind that I will live for ever.😁

Fred
    That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
    tony29h
    Master Seaman
    πŸ“ Guardsman
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Guardsman is cracking little Vic Smeed design from the past.
    The only difficulty I had with the balsa hull was the rudder linkage, just hadn't cut enough balsa out of the stern block before fixing the deck on. All ok after the third attempt. Obviously this problem won't happen with a moulded hull.
    Wishing you every success with the build,
    Tony
    Fred
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Guardsman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    So the wife and I have got our letter from Mat Hancock, saying that we must self isolate until the 31st March, so what is different to what we are doing now, the bins are still going out more than us.

On Saturday the13th I had an email new letter from Sarik and on looking there was a Hull and Plan pack for the Guardsman at Β£37.00 + Β£9.50 p/p, thinking that I had more than enough hulls to build, I went and ordered one, now six day's later I now have one Guardsman hull and planπŸ‘.

Fred

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info