• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Re: Elke HF408 kit
    by gogetemfloyd ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Able Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    23 Posts 22 Replies 0 Photos 30 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    gogetemfloyd
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Re: Elke HF408 kit
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks martin, all help is much appreciated.floyd
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Floyd,
    There might be some interesting information in this thread if you scroll through it..

https://model-boats.com/forum/37404#37404

Martin555.
    forum/37404#37404
    ๐Ÿ”—
    If it looks right it probably is.
    gogetemfloyd
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Sorry doug, tatally forgot to mention, my esc is a quicrun brushed 60a 1060. Thanks again, floyd
    gogetemfloyd
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi doug, here are my two main querys which will hopefully put this matter to rest. Firstly, my battery is a turnigy 2200mah 3s 20 11.1v 20c- 30c burst lipo xt60.
    I have a turnigy 12v basic lipo balance charger for 2s- 3s battery.
    Now the confusion lies in this 'storage charge' , so if i charge it up and don't use it within a few days, apparently, i need to dicharge it to a certain voltage in order to store it , so what device must i get in order to accomplish this, or should i buy a better type of charger?. Secondly, given the type of battery and esc that i have, what voltage motor will be compatible. Thanks, floyd.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 52 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Floyd,
    You've received several replies giving useful advice in bits and pieces, some without providing the 'Why'!
    So let me try to pull this altogether!๐Ÿ˜‰
    First:
    The Elke is a Fish Cutter, very similar to my Billing Boats Danish North Sea fish cutter Gina 2.
    They were 'plodders', max 10 knots at an educated guess. So you won't need a mighty meaty motor or lots of volts to drive it.
    The original Graupner instructions recommend a 280 type brushed motor.
    More than adequate for scale speed for a fish cutter. I'm assuming that the prop is approx 30mm diameter like my Gina 2 cutter. Which incidentally I propose to propel with a 50s vintage Taycol Target motor.
    BUT: You say that you have already purchased a Quicrun ESC.
    So your choice of motor is now defined by the type of that ESC.
    As Rowen says the Quicrun range includes both brushed and brushless types.
    Due to differences in the control technology of brushed and brushless motors you can not mix the types. I.E. brushed motor with brushless ESC or vice versa!
    A brushed motor is simply DC driven. Connect a battery and it runs. ๐Ÿ˜€
    A brushless motor is in essence a type of 3-phase AC motor and requires a corresponding electronic speed controller (ESC) to run it.
    So which Quicrun ESC have you bought?

Battery:
    Can appreciate your trepidation re LiPos as a newcomer to the technology.
    Like Rowen I have had no problems with them for 4 years now.
    But I have nearly 50 years of electronics engineering behind me so perhaps my perspective differs a bit from that of a novice!๐Ÿ˜‰
    By all means stick to NiMh if you are happier with that - model boating should be fun not worrying! But remember; ANY battery type can bite you if you maltreat it.
    Even a so called 'Sealed' Lead Acid produces hydrogen gas when charging and vents it if the internal pressure gets too high through charging too long at high current!! So put yer fags out!๐Ÿ˜‰ And buy a decent charger capable of charging AND monitoring NiMh. LiPo and SLA batteries. Cheaper than buying chargers for all three types ๐Ÿ˜€
    BTW: A motor (brushed or brushless) does not care what type of battery you use ๐Ÿ˜Š
    All it wants is enough current at the right volts, so that can come from an NiMh, a LiPo, an SLA lead accumulator, or even silver oxide cells if you've just won the lottery ๐Ÿ˜
    So motor and battery can not be incompatible.๐Ÿ˜‰ But motor and speed controller (ESC) CAN be!!๐Ÿค”

Motor and ESC:
    As said, motor choice will depend on the type of Quicrun ESC you have bought!
    I hope that it was one of the brushed motor types; e.g. 1060.
    A fish cutter does not need a powerful high revving or high torque brushless motor for reasons stated above.
    If you have bought one of the Quicrun xxBLyy types of brushless ESC I suggest you save that for a later project, perhaps a fast MTB or PTB, or sell it and purchase a simple brushed ESC, e.g.Mtroniks Viper Marine 10. Or the Quicrun 1060.

RC kit: Transmitter & Receiver set (TX/RX).
    I see that you have a 6 channel FlySky set ๐Ÿ‘
    Don't know it personally but it has similarities with my Turnigy set and several MB site members use variants of FlySky kit so you should be OK for set up / operating help if needed.
    6 channels gives you scope for special functions like lighting etc etc.
    But that's further down the line ๐Ÿ˜‰ We can help with that when you get that far ๐Ÿ‘

Hope this helps clarify things a little.
    BTW: A few pics, or even make and type numbers, of what kit and equipment you have are always helpful to us when we are asked for advice re 'The Way Forward'.
    The only daft question is the one that you are afraid to ask!๐Ÿ˜‰
    This site is full of bin there done that, 'this works fine' or 'tried this, won't do it again because ...' members and hundreds of years of experience! Use it ๐Ÿ‘
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 52 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re Batteries Floyd,
    Preeeee-ciseley Rowen๐Ÿ‘, same with me, also 4 years or so.
    Follow the rules and LiPos are no problem.
    I also never charge at more than 1Amp.
    The manufacturers only claim that they can be quick charged at 10 or 20Amps or whatever so that you do that, ruin the battery - reduce it's capacity and have to buy new ones.
    Good for business๐Ÿ™„ But not for us!๐Ÿ˜ 
    I never charge NIMhs at more than 1A either.
    When cycling (discharge/charge) to rejuvenate batteries, either NiMh or LiPo, I discharge at 5A and charge at 1A.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    RHBaker
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Been using LiPos for about 4 years and have standardized my fleet on them.
    They have the best current density of all cells and seem to work well. The weight of lead-acid cells is too much for the smaller, faster electric models anyway.
    So, if you are going to venture into the more "advanced" battery world, might as well go the whole hog.
    Have heard stories of fires and other mishaps. I follow the charging and storage recommendations religiously and so far have never been concerned.
    Usually charge at a max. rate of 1 A or lower, which is way under the max allowable. Always use a bag or steel ammunition box and never leave unattended.
    So far, have worked for me.๐Ÿคž
    gogetemfloyd
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yeah, i've built plastic kits on and off for 60yrs, i recently built the 1/72 flower class corvette (revell). It's the just the rc side of things thats got me stumped at the mo., . I'm going to put my query about lipo's to all and sundry and hope someone can ease my angst. As you probably guessed, i'm building the elke408, my plan is to convert it to a kriegsfischkutter, i got lucky, i joined the forum to try and get the plans and' roycv 'had the kit to sell, so here i am, worrying about batteries. C'est la vie. cheers , floyd.
    billmcl61
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Floyd,

71 years old, Ah you're never to young to start ๐Ÿ˜€.

No problem, anything I can help you with just shout, if I don't know the answer someone else will.

The boat I'm building at the moment is an H A Kits morston (the small one) and even though I had a lot of various bits I still had to go shopping for an esc, batteries, propshafts etc ๐Ÿ˜€, Just reading through the various build blogs here gives you a good idea of what bits to get and where to get them.

With the Morston, space is very limited so I'm using Nimh battery packs for the main power and receiver, I've just ordered these from the component shop, they're pretty reasonable pricewise and they have a good selection.

The guys on here are very helpful, especially to newcomers to the hobby, and willing to answer any questions you might have.

Bill
    gogetemfloyd
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks Bill, yeah, at the risk of spending a bit more than i expected, i'm thinking of getti g a nimh battery and charger. I'm 71 y.o. this month and time is more pre ious than money. I'll see what my local rc bloke has to say first, but i'm pretty much resigned to having to spend, i'll be able to get back to the build then. Thanks for the link, i'll give it a viewing shortly. Cheers .floyd.
    Show 13 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info