• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    dutch sailing barge
    by ted ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ( Recruit)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    39 Posts 38 Replies 6 Photos 32 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys, Noswaith dda ๐Ÿ˜‰
    "We are drifting too far from the subject of this thread. My fault, I expect."
    No fault at all Nerys ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰
    That's the way it goes when like minded folks start chatting ๐Ÿ˜€
    As an (involuntary๐Ÿ™„) Moderator (and Deputy, Assistant, Advisory Admin 2nd Class๐Ÿ˜)
    I take the view that a Thread in the open Forum is more or less Fair Game (within the usual unwritten rules of good taste) and anything vaguely related to or spun off from the initial theme is OK.
    BUT: if a member starts a Build Blog thread then I take a different and stricter view.
    The Build Blog is a history of someone's personal creative effort and can be printed as a memento of the saga.
    Thus, if posts wander off the subject of the said build blog without contributing positively to the object of the Blog, e.g drifting off into classic car restoration, types of southern hemisphere beers etc etc (yes we've had it all and much more) I will step in and curtail it and where necessary or (esp if requested to by the Blogger) delete the off Blog posts.
    Recently Stephen has created a tool which should enable moderators to move posts to more relevant threads. Haven't tested it yet but I will if driven to! ๐Ÿค”

Sooooo,
    Carry on, steady as you go Admiral Nerys ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž

A WORD TO THE WISE FOR NEWCOMERS TO OUR WONDERFUL, HIGHLY INFORMED, SLIGHTLY MADHOUSE MODEL BOATS FORUM ๐Ÿ˜
    If you are posting about a specific and personal build / construction project please post it as a BUILD BLOG and not as a general Forum topic.
    At the top of the Forum page on our site you will also notice various Forum Topic buttons; so specific queries and or advice can be posted under Electrics, Building (construction techniques), Stuff For Sale or Wanted, General nattering, etc etc. Use 'em! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    gerritv
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    Online: 12 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ted
    Near top of your page on this site you will see Messages, just click there. Should say something such as 1/4
    Gerrit
    Restoring a 1:72 HMCS Athabaskan (G07)
    ted
    Recruit
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi gerritv, sorry but I am new to this game. will you expand on PM's for the un educated. regds Ted.
    gerritv
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Ted, check your PM's, you have a message.

Gerrit
    Nerys
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    Online: 1 second ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I agree Doug from the earliest of times, man has wanted to cross water and how he would do it depended on what materials were available to him. In an area where there were small trees and bushes and skins available from the last trip to the butchers, man would make a framework of branches and then cover it with skins. The size would depend on the size of the branches and the size of the animal skins. If he lived in an area of large trees and assuming he had a prehistoric chain saw to cut one down, he would either float away on a log, tie some logs together to make a raft (Kon Tiki) or chop out with flint axes or burn out with fire, the inside of a log to make a dug out canoe. And from those basic sources developed a myriad of boats and ships and taking Doug's reference to iron trees even the latest Aircraft carrier or canal blocking container ship.

We are drifting too far from the subject of this thread. My fault, I expect.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    gerritv
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I will find the scans of photos taken while my dad was building this one. Should have an album in the next week.

Gerrit
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys,
    "when you think about it, they were the among the first boats built and the same method of construction is used today, a skin covering a framework."

To paraphrase your comment (re your LST) about plastic ships / boats-
    'I guess if God had meant for us to build steel ships he would have given us huge steel trees and the machinery to hollow them out!' ๐Ÿ˜

OK OK. ... and Dougal said,
    'Time for bed!' ๐Ÿ˜ 
    G'night All ๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ’ค
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Gut gemacht Willem ๐Ÿ‘
    Auf der Seite fand ich auch Plรคne fรผr den Colossus-Klasse Flugzeugtrรคger Karel Doorman.
    Eines meiner Lieblingsschiffe, weil ich einmal auf dem brasilianischen Colossus-Trรคger Minas Gerais gearbeitet habe.๐Ÿ˜‰
    Viele GrรผรŸe aus Mรผnchen, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Nerys
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Gerritv, This looks from the pictures a very nicely built boat. both ends look beautifully 'Botterish', I would like to see pictures of the whole boat. Perhaps when you have her finished you would let us see some and I very much look forward to that.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Nerys
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ dutch sailing barge
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    There were, or are, a number of different variations on the curragh, although much the same as regards size, construction methods varied and some were made completely of wood, where the majority are a wooden framework covered in canvas. The wood was often willow or similar woods bent to shape by soaking. The curraghs of Ireland are of course closely related to the coracle of Wales and Scotland, but were of course much bigger . This was principally because the curragh is used in the sea, whilst the coracle is a river craft.The curragh would carry about three or four people, usually rowed, whereas the coracle was mainly a single handed boat controlled by a paddle, though a couple of types could carry two. Some curraghs carried sails and the picture of the St Brendan repro in Ron's post shows very well what the sails were like Coracles were also made mainly with bent , often split, willow branches, but sometimes with sawn wood. My Teifi coracle has woven willow for it's gunwhale and sawn split willow for it's frames, whereas my Scottish Spey coracle has complete willow branches in various thicknesses for every part of it's frame. The Teifi is covered in painted canvas whereas the Spey was covered in a cow skin when I first had it, about forty five years ago. The cow skin had the furry side in and the tail as a painter. Eventually the skin rotted and I replaced it with canvas.
    The study of primitive boats like this is well worth it, because, when you think about it, they were the among the first boats built and the same method of construction is used today, a skin covering a framework.

Cheers, Nerys
    Show 29 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info