• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Re ESC Options
    by RNinMunich ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ( Fleet Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    7 Posts 6 Replies 17 Photos 4 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Re ESC Options
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re programming cards, here's an example of 2 different brands (2 models from the SURPASS brand, - blue one from Ebay is the OCDAY brand) which use the same card. Seems common to a number of brands and types,- probably the same ESC manufacturer, just dressed to customers requirements. These cards come in black as well.

JB
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Re ESC Options
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug, they are as you say only about 50% in rev but I was referring to the fwd rev problem. Once you get the hang of them, they are not too bad, -sort of have to drive them like you would a real boat, ie - slow down -neutral - reverse, (unless you have a hydraulic box, but they still don't like being rammed into reverse at full power. The box which came with the Lees Marine marinized Mk3 Zodiac motor (pic) I bought for my Hartley 20, was a Paragon, with 2 clutches and a planetary gear set which could be changed fairly quickly from fwd to rev, but I didn't need it with the stern drive (it had dog clutches like an outboard, and you had to be at idle to change it.

It was a lot of fun adapting the motor/stern drive (NZ made Argonaut) throttle/fwd rev cables to a Mercury control lever set and getting them all to work together properly, but eventually got it working perfectly.

I saw some cheap 25A brushless ESCs on Ali Exp and thought I'd have a look at them. Bought a couple and found the programming box for them (the advertised ones had a programming button, - mine came without) and found they work pretty well. They are an 'OC Day' brand but the programming box seems common to a number of other brand ESCs. They run the 28mm series of out-runners as well as anything else and would be ideal for smaller boats.

I also have 4 of the small 18A Trackstar brushless ESCs (thumb for scale) which are probably one of the best I've used. They are programmable and run smaller brushless motors perfectly. I had them in the HSL with the 2845 2000kv inrunners but changed them to the HK 30A car ESCs just to be safe. Trackstar make excellent ESCs and do quite a good range. If you are short of room in a small model, these would be perfect.

I've collected around 50 ESCs of about a dozen different brands and types over the last 12 yrs to try, and so far have had only 1 fail (a 120A plane ESC which arrived dead) Have collected around 72 motors (brushed and brushless) and have only had 3 brushless fails (2x overloading 28diam ducted fan motors, - 1x 5045-wire chafed on case exit letting smoke out at 60A in my 56" racing plane) So many choices, so little time, (lol as Martin would add).

550s sound good for the ships, nice slow running and lots of power when you need it (have 2 Gool RC 45T 550s in the ST (think there's a vid in the media section somewhere) runs really nicely with 2s and 28mm props. I think brushed have a nicer sound than brushless in most cases, - nice sort of electrical 'growl' Looking forward to you getting these ships on the lake when you get the 'all clear'.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

JB
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Re ESC Options
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "El Cheepo ESC (work well but slow on reverse)"
    Hi JB, that's often because the ESC is factory set to provide only 50% output in reverse.
    On good branded units you can usually alter this by the programming. With the cheepo basic knock-offs this is often not possible. Never really bothered me though, don't want my ships disappearing backwards under the surface ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Your description of the forward to reverse juggling is how the Quicrun 1065 works.
    Discovered too late that you can't change the Running Mode to Forward / Reverse like on the other models.
    I too have some 540 and 550 Hi- perf motors to test. A pair each.
    May test then in my destroyer, or in my HMS Belfast; two 540s on the inner shafts, two 550s on the outers for ALL AHEAD FLANK overdrive ๐Ÿ˜ Or vice versa?
    Can use the Quicrun 860 Dual to drive the two pairs, or two separate 1060s. We'll see ๐Ÿค“
    I also have an Action Electronics P94 Dual ESC with built in rudder mixer to play with ๐Ÿ˜ so many combinations are possible in the four shaft Belfast! She has four 380s 'as built'. May change them for 385s.
    Weather's warming up now so may get to do some test runs soon ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Re ESC Options
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug, found something interesting which may solve a few peoples problems with the El Cheepo brushed ESCs. The one I have in the tow wagon has the brake off but still the annoying centre point (this is for crawler vehicles, so if they are on a steep hill and you pause or throttle back suddenly, you won't go straight into unintended reverse, -just roll back.

The one in the tow wagon will find reverse with a jog to forward and back, (as per instructions) once in 5 or 6 tries BUT, I've found that it works better for some reason, ie if going forward- go back to full reverse then jog forward (just past neutral) and back, works 100% of the time. Going into reverse less than full and back seems to be a problem,- perhaps they need a clear signal to pick up the command ?

I've changed mine in the ST to Quicrun 1060s as per your earlier info and they certainly are a big improvement. The ESCs in the HSL are twin brushless HK 30A car versions and they have been excellent so far with the 2845b in-runners. I have some high voltage brushed ESCs coming to try, (which seem few and far between,- up to 16v input ) which might be interesting.

Will report on them when I can do a test, as they were for trying with the high voltage/performance brushed 550 bearinged motor in the Hartley jet model (now changed to brushless with 60A aircraft one way ESC). On 12v, the brushed motor was not revving enough for decent performance (can go to 24v and 30,000 rpm) hence ordering the HV ESCs to try to boost the revs.

Pic 1, El Cheepo ESC (work well but slow on reverse) - pic 2, Quicrun 1060, (excellent so far) - pic 3 Hk 30A car (excellent so far) -- Pic 4, High voltage ESC (yet to be tested)

JB
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Re ESC Options
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Found out why!
    I used the less than sign instead of typing out 'less than'!
    Everything after the 'less than' symbol disappears ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Re ESC Options
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Truncated here as well๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Time to have a moan at Stephen!!
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Re ESC Options
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I tried to post this reply in the original thread, but it always appeared truncated ๐Ÿค”
    Not the first time this has happened!
    So here goes here: my comments ref ESCs and Hobbywing Quicrun etc.
    Enjoy,
    Viel SpaรŸ dabei und so weiter und so fort!

"They also do brushless motors and all sorts of other escโ€™s including I believe some dedicated marine ones."
    Quite correct Jeremy ๐Ÿ‘ The Seaking series.
    BUT: they seem to me to be rather expensive, technically (Amps and power) vastly overrated for most RC usage. Seem to be aimed more at the Offshore Power Boat or, as you infer, 'insane' racers.
    For my purposes, scale ships and boats, I find the Quicrun Car/Buggy/Truck series more than adequate and a fraction of the Seaking series prices.
    One (or two ๐Ÿ™„) words of warning about the Quicrun series, actually intended for cars and trucks;
    Brushed ESCs of the 1060 series: DON'T make the mistake I made of buying a Quicrun1065 for use in a boat. I did, without looking at the small print too closely (was carried away by my enthusiasm for the 860 and the 16BL30๐Ÿ™„), then discovered that it runs Forward/Brake/Reverse ONLY. I.e. you can't switch off the the Brake function like you can with the 1060 and the brushless ESCs. ๐Ÿค” Best you can do is reduce the Brake effect to zero, but can't delete it.
    Not disastrical but highly irritating coz it means you have to double twitch the throttle stick to go from ahead to astern!๐Ÿ˜ 
    ALWAYS buy the appropriate Programming card to go with the Quicrun series motors you want to use.
    Dead easy to use, no confusing bleeps and toots counting, and shows exactly what you have set your ESC to do on the card display.
    Yes you can find much cheaper ESCs on offer in the almighty Web, some allegedly for

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info