• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Sail Making
    by 5280 PB πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Recruit)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    14 Posts 13 Replies 1 Photo 17 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    Online: 11 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    A simple way to make a sail. Cut out a pattern of the sail in card. Lay on the fabric to be used with the port side facing upwards and the selvedge of the fabric on the leach of the sail Draw around the other sides of the card pattern onto the fabric. Now draw another line around the card pattern on the fabric the width of the self adhesive tape you are using outside the card pattern. Cut out on this line. Put the self adhesive tape all around the pattern on the inside of the innermost line on the fabric. Ignore the selvedge. Turn the fabric over onto the self adhesive tape, mitreing the corners. so that you have a sail strengthened all round with another layer of fabric. If this sail is for a modern racing yacht or similar, just insert eyelets in the corners or where needed. If it is for a traditional boat, barge, pilot cutter etc. The sail will need roping. Sails are traditionally roped on the port side of the sail which is why I said to lay the card pattern on the fabric port side up. I use about a 5mm cord and sew it around the outside edge of the sail except the leach to strengthen it and give it a traditional look. You can incorporate any eyes ((loops) at the corners you may want into it.
    The experts will give you instructions for making sails far more complicated than this, but this is a method I have used perfectly successfully over the years.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Rus,
    I am glad you received the help you required from the members.
    Looking forward to further progress reports.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    5280 PB
    Recruit
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    Online: 26 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Wow thank you guys!!!!
    Wonderful information and I just joined. Thank you for all your input.
    I will carry on and share my progress.
    Through my research, I have found there is a rich history of pond boats on the UK. As I proceed, I would enjoy very much tackling a pond boat from the early times in the UK.
    Rus
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "double sided tape for fabric"
    Like iron on bias binding Nerys - any half decent haberdasher will have it.
    For instance-
    https://plushaddict.co.uk/haberdashery/bias-binding.html?cat...
    https://plushaddict.co.uk/haberdashery/bias-binding/vlieseline-vilene-bias-tape-white.html
    Good for fixing trouser hems as well 😁
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    https://plushaddict.co.uk/haberdashery/bias-binding.html?cat=1014
    πŸ”—
    https://plushaddict.co.uk/haberdashery/bias-binding/vlieseline-vilene-bias-tape-white.html
    πŸ”—
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    roycv
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    Online: 20 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi just a small point Dacron and Terrylene are the same material in case of confusion, depends which side of the pond you live.

Roy
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Nerys,
    Would it be possible for you to do a little article with photos on your sail making process as it could help the newer guys to this hobby.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    Online: 11 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    As I am about to make sails for my latest model barge, I thought I might stick this set instead of sewing by hand as I usually do. Looked on Ebay for double sided tape for fabric and there were several offers, even mentioning sails. Several widths from 6mm and lengths from 6m to 50m. Worth a look. I am about to decide which I will order.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    roycv
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi I have cut out sails using a sharpened soldering iron bit at a minimum heat level You do need a firm durface to cut the sail on but I made the mistake of using hardboard and there is a faint brown mark which is not a burn mark from the hardboard surface.

The last lot of sails I 'made' I produced templates supplied the material and left an example of what was wanted and the lady who does clothing alterations in the local market did the sewing. Did not charge much either.

Remember to have the longest sail edge as the weft edge i.e. non stretching.

regards

Roy
    Nonsuch
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    For Dacron you can simply cut it with a sharpened soldering iron bit. Do a few temperarure tests first and cut along a curved wooden strip.
    roycv
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Sail Making
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi if the sail material is a flat surface like mylar film double sided tape is great. If it is a woven surface then there is a product called Wunda Web which is a loose filament tape which is glue and it can be laid inside a seam.

This is then ironed with the heat on medium to activate the glue to the two surfaces. Not sure if this would suit nylon or rip stock but would be good for a light cotton material.

I have sails made in this way over 10 years ago with no sign of deterioration.

If you have a material which when cut has threads ready to fall away then using a cotton bud stick apply a light varnish edge on to the cut adge and this will seal it form fraying.

Good luck

Roy
    Show 4 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info