• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    yep 120a
    by red baron πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Recruit)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    9 Posts 8 Replies 2 Photos 15 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Scratchbuilder
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ yep 120a
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I personally would be very interested to see the results of your efforts on this one Red.
    Regards Bill
    Never give up.It will come right in the end.
    red baron
    Recruit
    πŸ“ yep 120a
    Flag
    Online: 18 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    yes thanks ordered a boat one will my be play about later with a relay to reverse leads thank you
    red baron
    Recruit
    πŸ“ yep 120a
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    yes thanks ordered a boat one
    pmdevlin
    Lieutenant
    πŸ“ yep 120a
    Flag
    Online: 19 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    ive used those esc's for aircraft, they are very good, and more top end of what hobbyking sell. You can programme without the card, but its a fiddly affair, following series of beeps etc. As said, plane dont fly backwards (however there are a couple of water planes that do have reversing esc) I would sell it, and buy a dedicated boat esc, some even have the option of water cooling
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ yep 120a
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Red,
    Yes of course I am well aware of such tricks.
    Most of the early ESCs depended on relays for reversing anyway, until Darlingtons and then high Amp low R FETs came along.
    But I didn't want to complicate things for the Red Baron.
    He was trying to do it with an ESC and programming card which simply don't allow itπŸ€”
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    redpmg
    Captain
    πŸ“ yep 120a
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Doug - hate to contradict you - but there are ways of reversing an aircraft ESC - two examples in Model Boats magazine over the last few years . One involves the use of a double pole switch & the other involves relays. Of course you have to use an extra servo in both cases. Found when dismantling two old rechargeable drills both use that type of switch to reverse the drill movement - on a brushless motor the one wire simply runs from esc to the motor. If interested I have a copy of the articles somewhere...........

Will probably use both switches to reverse 30amp brushless motors myself

They were dismantled to find gears for the Elvers vane steering.................... The motors are high drain so not much use but the 4.8v Nicads are fine after charging with a proper charger.........

And Doug the most famous for flying backwards in a headwind is the Piper or Taylor Cub fitted with a 65hp Lycoming twin - seen it myself having to be held down on the runway ............
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ yep 120a
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi 'von Richthofen'πŸ˜‰
    Bad news I'm afraid😐
    The short answer is 'You can't do it' ☹️
    The YEP range of ESCs are for aircraft, which don't often fly backwards (except perhaps Tiger Moths in a headwind!πŸ€”)
    I've pored over the ESC and Programming Card manuals (see attachments) and there is absolutely NO mention of or allowance for a reverse running mode.

Afraid you're gonna have to buy a boat or car/truck ESC which has a reverse mode and motor to match with a decent kV rating (= 1000rpm per volt) at a reasonable voltage e.g. 6 to 12V.
    Maybe you can flog that aircraft kit to a flyboy modeller?

I see that there are a few SK3 types which might be suitable for a ship model, which one do you have? What is it's kV rating?
    To help you choose a suitable battery, motor and ESC combo for your boat please tell us what your boat/ship is; how big (total hull length and width) and weight without motors and battery. Sorry for the bad news. Next time; 'Taste and try - before you buy'! πŸ˜‰
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-120a-lv-2-6s-brushless-speed...
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-esc-programming-card.html
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-systems/electric-motors/brushless-motors.html#q=SK&idx=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products&dFR%5Bwarehouses%5D%5B0%5D=UK&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B0%5D=UK%7C1&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B1%5D=UK%7C2&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B2%5D=UK%7C3&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B3%5D=Global%7C1&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B4%5D=Global%7C2&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B5%5D=Global%7C3&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B6%5D=EU%7C1&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B7%5D=EU%7C2&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B8%5D=EU%7C3&hFR%5Bcategories.level0%5D%5B0%5D=Power%20Systems%20%2F%2F%2F%20Electric%20Motors%20%2F%2F%2F%20Brushless%20Motors&is_v=1
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-120a-lv-2-6s-brushless-speed-controller-with-selectable-sbec.html?queryID=&objectID=40131&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products
    πŸ”—
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-esc-programming-card.html
    πŸ”—
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-systems/electric-motors/brushless-motors.html#q=SK&idx=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products&dFR%5Bwarehouses%5D%5B0%5D=UK&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B0%5D=UK%7C1&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B1%5D=UK%7C2&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B2%5D=UK%7C3&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B3%5D=Global%7C1&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B4%5D=Global%7C2&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B5%5D=Global%7C3&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B6%5D=EU%7C1&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B7%5D=EU%7C2&dFR%5Bwarehouses_stock_data%5D%5B8%5D=EU%7C3&hFR%5Bcategories.level0%5D%5B0%5D=Power%20Systems%20%2F%2F%2F%20Electric%20Motors%20%2F%2F%2F%20Brushless%20Motors&is_v=1
    πŸ”—
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    Colin H
    Vice Admiral
    πŸ“ yep 120a
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Post some photos of your setup and we should be able to help.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    red baron
    Recruit
    πŸ“ yep 120a
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi looking for help got yep120a on an sk3 brushless motor can i program for reverse for boat program card not very helpful can get for wood works well just cant work out how to get reverse

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info