• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Finishing
    by redpmg πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ ( Commodore)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    9 Posts 8 Replies 2 Photos 22 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Newby7
    Vice Admiral
    πŸ“ Finishing
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    For me I like building my boats. Blemishes are part of my building. A few reasons for this PATIENTS being the front runner.In my mind I would love to do a museum piece when I'm done with the boat. With the tooling I have I build a boat I like even with the flaws. Another is SKILL I'm proficient at most jobs in the build and happy when the boat turns out well. To finish the build put it on the water sail it find it is water tight after bring it out of the water. That's the best for me . On the water do we see the imperfection or just the boat running.
    Rick
    redpmg
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Finishing
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Not quite Martin - just you cant store it outside ...........
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Finishing
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    So Red to make the model last longer you have to make it to museum quality LOL!!
    Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    redpmg
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Finishing
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Martin we have had so much rain here over the last few weeks any model left outside would have floated away - literally so in some parts of town and would have been last seen heading out to sea..........

The sun is so fierce here any model left outside for any length of time would resemble a shipwreck rather than weathered................, but maybe the same effect would be achieved by leaving a model in the garage as everything unprotected in there rusts quickly with the salt air...........
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Finishing
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Bill,

Red is right why do we do it.

As for rusting i used to save iron filings and put my model out in the garden and spray the boat with water then sprinkle the filings over it and just leave it out there for week or two and let nature take its course.

The results were very good.

The only problem was if it did not rain you would have to go and give it a spray with water every now and again.

Martin555.
    Scratchbuilder
    Commander
    πŸ“ Finishing
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Red.
    I agree.
    Unless you are building a museum item that will never see the water I think it’s good to see a weathered boat.
    To quote the film β€œThe Cruel Sea” it is cruel and unforgiving and causes a lot of damage and such like.
    When I sail a new one where appropriate on the type of boat I will deliberately sail it thru all the surface flotsam especially any grime or surface oil just so it sticks to the hull.The best weathering in the world it’s natural.
    As for rust effect.I know I have mentioned it before but I keep a jam jar full of metal nails,screws and wire wool full of water.Makes the best rust in the world.Paint it on and then a light varnish so it won’t wash off.
    Take care all.
    Happy sailing.
    Regards Bill
    Never give up.It will come right in the end.
    Fred
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Finishing
    Flag
    Online: 14 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi redpmg

I go along with you on this one.

I just let things take there course, so if I did hit the hull at any time I just let it go, or if some paint get on to the deck when doing the bulwarks so be it, to me it just adds that bit of realism.

Fred
    That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Finishing
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Red,
    I think subconsciously we try to get that new build look for a couple of reasons.
    Firstly is if it has all the dents and blemishes as you described we think we will be criticised for not having done a good job of making the model in the first place.

Secondly to make a model look real(depending on the model) is actually quite a hard thing to do.
    If you don't research how to do weathering and the effects of it the model will look wrong and that takes you back to number one being criticised .

Martin555.
    redpmg
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Finishing
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Reading Cash's latest post on his Grimmershorn set me to thinking as to why we take such trouble to fix minor blemishes when a good look at a full size new build shows they are full of them. That includes plenty of starved dog ripples in the hull/plating , rough patches in the superstructure, deck with many caulking/plank faults and even the paint finish is not perfect - let alone after a weeks sailing. Looked at a local newbuild trawler some time ago - full of blemishes as noted above . Granted an expensive motor yacht might be better finished than most but still has flaws......

Looking at my boats which are mostly over 25 years old they seem to be more realistic with the natural weathering over the years than when they were first launched.

Does anyone else feel the same ? or should we go to the trouble of removing the blemishes ?

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info