I haven't posted for some time as I went through a phase of making more U-turns than fittings!
I realised that my chosen model was too small for the motor I was wanting to fit in it, so sourced a much smaller double acting V-twin unit. The motor now fits under the engine room skylights/vents.
I needed eight skylights for my conversion and only six were in the kit. The white metal items also weighed in at over 15grams each, so I fabricated eight new ones from ply and delrin at 3grams each. Captains cabin skylights were made from card frames with PVA rivets and the window guards from 1mm ply and brass wire.
The main superstructure is 3mm ply formers wrapped in 1mm ply to get the curved front corners. I realised at this stage that I had made a mistake in my drawings. The wheelhouse was too long and thus the stairs placed too far astern, leaving virtually no room for the boat deck. I had already built the two lifeboats, but decided they were too large and made a wooden plug to plank slightly smaller boats round.
The boat deck still looks tight, but it will do.
The funnel was also causing grief at this point. Occre supply a card tube which is probably fine for electric powered models, but despite priming with several coats of thinned enamel, the tube turned to papiermache on seeing steam! I looked aroung the shed and spotted my beloved tin tube that my piercing saw blades live in......spot on. This had contained two miniatures of Rajpur gin, but was perfect. It had rolled top and bottom rims and a lovely seam running along its full lengh. A row of small drops of epoxy was added alongside the seam to simulate rivets and wire step rungs were soldered into two rows of holes, drilled on the milling machine for accuracy.
The ventilators on Lyttelton are very tall and proportioned like lollipops. As I couldn't find anything ready made, I would have to fabricate some. I found a likely mould in the kitchen, in the form of a metal hemispherical measuring spoon, but following Cambrian Ninja death glances from my financial manager, I thought again. The hardware shop in the village saved the day with two sets of plastic measuring spoons for just over £3. A suitable sized pair was selected, their handles removed, holes drilled with an end mill and then glued onto plastic tubes. Filler, splash of paint and they look great.
Tow rope fender bars were cut from 4mm marine ply and strips of 1mm ply added as cappings to form H-sections.
That's long enough for now. I'll come back in a couple of days with details on the wheelhouse fittings and furniture.