• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Blackpool Model Boat Show
    by Nerys ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Fleet Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    33 Posts 32 Replies 4 Photos 52 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Blackpool Model Boat Show
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys
    Glad you liked. Always interest in our sailing barges and there is certainly much enjoyment when building models in wood as they just look right. ๐Ÿ‘Rigging a sailing barge helps retain the skills that are so quickly disappearing from our world. I hope you will share your builds at some time.
    happy days๐Ÿ˜Š
    Dave
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 54 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have read the article about the model barge Westmoreland in this month's Model Boat and I doff my cap to a pure beginner who would make such a good job scratchbuilding from a pile of ply and a plan. I would love to see pictures of her sailing in due course.
    Oh!, that the story of the real Westmoreland was as happy. She was built in 1900 for the Kentish firm of Eastwoods Brickmakers. She was engaged in carrying bricks until 1955, when she was restored as the company racing barge and raced and sailed in their colours until 1963 when she was acquired by the Thames Barge Sailing Club, who maintained her until she broke her back at Hoo in 1973. The wreck was sold and she was taken to Faversham where a considerable amount of work was carried out, but never completed. The wreck was then saved from destruction being put in a drydock and taken to Halstow , hopefully to be rebuilt.. A lottery grant was applied for but was never forthcoming and the drydock sank at her moorings doing even further damage to Westmoreland and she was then broken up. The Historic Ships people documented her and produced a set of plans for anyone who wishes to build a model. Thus passes the last of the 'brickies'.

Unhappily, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Dave, I like the picture with the horse and cart loading from or to the barge, so reminiscent of the days when a barge would sail up some Essex creek and be loaded with produce in this manner. I know of several members who have built model barges, 'Veronica' being the favourite, probably because she is available in a part kit from Sarik, and of course, she was a famous racing barge. If you look in my harbour, you will find four sailing barges, a motor barge and a Dutch barge. All of which have been either scratch built or with bought in hulls. I am currently completing an auxiliary barge, then waiting in the wings is a part completed model of 'Sirdar' the racing barge of the London and Rochester Trading Company, which I purchased recently.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 8 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Certainly was up mine Bill, although I'm by no means a barge fan as such.
    An extremely well written and humorous account of an 'unintentioned' but nevertheless ultimately successful build.
    I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I got to the episode in the doctors waiting room!!
    ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.๐Ÿ˜Š Cheers Doug
    Scratchbuilder
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys.
    Have you read the Westmoreland woes article in this months Model Boats mag.
    I would think itโ€™s right up your street ๐Ÿ‘
    Regards Bill.
    Never give up.It will come right in the end.
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys
    We have several members who have built Thames Barges over the years. I am posting some pics of those I can find. I agree they are very nostalgic. Hope you and the membership enjoy.
    The club website is undergoing up-date so I have only found one model. I have posted a pic of Brian Clews' Norfolk Wherry, which is similar.
    Dave
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Andy, if you follow this forum for long you will often find me ranting on about Thames Barges. I skippered them in trade many years ago. I have built several models, have a look in My Harbour.

Cheers, Nerys
    AndyB
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    The gaff rigged version with cream sails was particularly attractive
    As a newbie, a look at a Thames barge would have been interesting
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yes, Andy, the J class stand stood out for me. I thought it particularly good to see the gaff rigged versions too. I also liked the model of the International Dragon, pity she wasn't rigged. Sail is never awfully well represented at the show, but I personally regretted the absence of a single Thames Barge. There are usually a number exhibited on one particular stand, but I understand that exhibitor has ceased trading on medical grounds.

Nerys
    AndyB
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Attended the show for a first time, as Iโ€™m new to model boat building. Well done to those who got it on.
    The J class stand was a real โ€œstand outโ€, exceptional models. Wish there had been more sailing models.
    Helpful other trade stands and bought various small items and useful to learn who is out there.

Some signage in the hotel to help find the entrance would help, but was told the hotel wouldnโ€™t allow it!

Gave up trying to find a cup of coffee etc. Again not the organisers fault.
    I parked along the road and had a walk.
    Show 23 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info